TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a wide ratio toploader out of an old mustang for nothing. I have 94 4.6 cougar, would it be possible to slap that in there or would I have to put a 5 speed out of a supercoupe/mustang or something in it? This is merely thinking out loud though I have the car and its just a cruiser now but I'm wondering if I could make it a standard trans sleeper car. I was watching the movie "White Lightning" today and in it Burt Reynolds is running moonshine in a suped 71 LTD with a 429 police interceptor and a 4 speed (obviously not an oem piece). Movies like that fill my head with crazy ideas.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
V8Cougar said:
I can get a wide ratio toploader out of an old mustang for nothing. I have 94 4.6 cougar, would it be possible to slap that in there or would I have to put a 5 speed out of a supercoupe/mustang or something in it? This is merely thinking out loud though I have the car and its just a cruiser now but I'm wondering if I could make it a standard trans sleeper car. I was watching the movie "White Lightning" today and in it Burt Reynolds is running moonshine in a suped 71 LTD with a 429 police interceptor and a 4 speed (obviously not an oem piece). Movies like that fill my head with crazy ideas.
completey possible so long as you can make a bell housing and fly wheel to work

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok scratch that then, and I don't need to use the search feature since everyone here is so nice and helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually its easier to type up a quick thread and come back hours later to see if anybody gives me a hand, seeing as I don't have all night and day to spend infront of the computer looking for things. I'm sure my thread isn't going to crash the site so take it easy there buddy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Slvr04Stang said:
Well, its easier to search then clog up forums with meaningless threads. :)
I'm kind of curious why you are on a a web site for Tbirds, Cougars & Marks. From what I can see you are a Mustang driver.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
V8Cougar said:
........I was watching the movie "White Lightning" today and in it Burt Reynolds is running moonshine in a suped 71 LTD with a 429 police interceptor and a 4 speed (obviously not an oem piece). Movies like that fill my head with crazy ideas.
I have that movie on tape (somewhere). Awesome movie, and that is one killer 4-door plain wrapper LTD! (Lets see him do that river barge jump with a Trans Am and not break it in half! ;) )

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Bymet said:
I'm kind of curious why you are on a a web site for Tbirds, Cougars & Marks. From what I can see you are a Mustang driver.
Nice warm welcome guys :zbash:

Post like these sure would have made me want to hang out here when I first showed up 8 years ago :confused:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Tyler's a good guy, even if he drives a Mustang. And he has a good point. If the dude had only spent 5 minutes searching, he would have figured out his answer. Now, when someone actually does search "standard transmission", this worthless thread will show up.

There's a wealth of information that already exists on this site. We need to encourage new guys to search for it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tobey said:
Tyler's a good guy, even if he drives a Mustang. And he has a good point. If the dude had only spent 5 minutes searching, he would have figured out his answer. Now, when someone actually does search "standard transmission", this worthless thread will show up.

There's a wealth of information that already exists on this site. We need to encourage new guys to search for it.
My post wasn't meant to blast the guy. I was truly curious as to why he's on our site when he's not driving an MN12. It's like me spending time in the Mustang tech articles when most of what's in there won't be helpful to me. Just simple curiosity. I have no problem with anyone being on the site if they want too.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
V8Cougar said:
WHY NOT? you could get a 71 galaxie with a 429 and stick

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Bymet said:
My post wasn't meant to blast the guy. I was truly curious as to why he's on our site when he's not driving an MN12. It's like me spending time in the Mustang tech articles when most of what's in there won't be helpful to me. Just simple curiosity. I have no problem with anyone being on the site if they want too.
I wasn't trying to single you out either it just seemed we as a club were being less than helpful.....but hey stuff happens

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Galaxy 500 sedan didn't come with a manual trans I don't think. They did make them with 3 on a tree though just not 4 speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've never seen a Galaxie (well, not a 71-72) with even a three on the tree. And if they did, I'm pretty sure they didn't come with a 429 attached to them. You could get a 429, just not with the manual transmission. Don't know for sure though, I'll have to ask dad. He was a Ford dealer back in those days.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
V8Cougar said:
The Galaxy 500 sedan didn't come with a manual trans I don't think. They did make them with 3 on a tree though just not 4 speeds.

they sure did all years that galaxie was made . especially the early to late 60's 70s i knew they offered it , it wasnt as common

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What, 4 on the floor in the 4 door sedan sedan version? I read somewhere that they didn't come factory equipped with 4 speeds, but hey I could be wrong. That just strikes me as an odd option for a family oriented vehicle.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you would be surpirsed of some of the stuff they built in the 60s and early 70's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts