TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone here has ever tried following the tech article on removing the speed limiter and what kind of luck they've had. i have a 94 4.6 (mentions disconnecting pins on computer #58 gry/blk and #33 pnk/org Place switch in line of 58) from what i hear, a chip is a wast of money, especially since im already running 14- 15 degrees advanced, there are no other real gains. except maybe shifts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
:rolleyes:

go ahead and try it if you like, but id bet dollars to pesos its not going to work. a new chip will do more than advance your timing and change your shift points, it speeds up the shifts, changes the torque converter lockup pattern, removes the speed limiter and will probably show you an increase in power and gas mileage. it makes the car feel just plain more solid.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I agree. That article is on the list of ones to be removed. Order a chip from Dennis and be done with it. :D

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
That "trick" will not work with ANY EEC-V vehicle.

Nothing to be gained with a chip? Oh I fear you are highly mistaken. How are you running that much timing? Do you have one of those ubergay steeda timing adjustors? Sorry but that's the wrong way to do things. Consider the chip...don't be cheap.

Shifts, TC lockup are two biggins that can be adjusted..not to mention A/F.

C

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry there... meant 12 degrees. there's actually nothing done to the motor, its all stock. one question though about the chip. right now, i have a rebuilt tranny in the car and when they installed it, they did a horrible job- it holds first too long and has a very firm shift no matter how light you go on the throttle. the 2-3 is okay(for stock) but it under light acceleration spends no time in 2nd because it spends so much time in first. does the chip use the pre-existing data and then go from there or will it sorta fix the bad setup. i was just kinda hesitant to spend the money on a chip because i almost got a mk viii engine and tranny and computer but waited too long and the guy sold it. i know that project is pretty involved and expensive so i'd rather not spend that much on my 2v with 100k even though it still runs good. thanks for your help!
Dave

·
Banned for Life
180 Posts
dyrtybyrd281 said:
just wondering if anyone here has ever tried following the tech article on removing the speed limiter and what kind of luck they've had. i have a 94 4.6 (mentions disconnecting pins on computer #58 gry/blk and #33 pnk/org Place switch in line of 58) from what i hear, a chip is a wast of money, especially since im already running 14- 15 degrees advanced, there are no other real gains. except maybe shifts

Well I have no idea how you figure that the chip brings the fan on at 185 it REMOVES speed limiting and rev limiting if you so desire, it adjusts for any gear change and adjusts the shift points, in short the car is totaly differennt.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
dyrtybyrd281 said:
sorry there... meant 12 degrees. there's actually nothing done to the motor, its all stock. one question though about the chip. right now, i have a rebuilt tranny in the car and when they installed it, they did a horrible job- it holds first too long and has a very firm shift no matter how light you go on the throttle. the 2-3 is okay(for stock) but it under light acceleration spends no time in 2nd because it spends so much time in first. does the chip use the pre-existing data and then go from there or will it sorta fix the bad setup. i was just kinda hesitant to spend the money on a chip because i almost got a mk viii engine and tranny and computer but waited too long and the guy sold it. i know that project is pretty involved and expensive so i'd rather not spend that much on my 2v with 100k even though it still runs good. thanks for your help!
Dave
Gee son, it sounds like your tranny has a bad 1-2 accumulator spring causing hung shifts....I'd get that fixed first... as for miles ;under 150k is nothing, youve got a way to go.Wouldn't reccommend a swap like youre contemplating unless youve got some verrry professional friends...fix the tranny, get a Dennis chip, and enjoy life!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dennis....my understanding.....

from "one who knows " is that the reburns set fan
performance at:

Low speed fan comes on at:

on 190 / off 186

High speed fan comes on at:

on 204 / off 196

did I misunderstand? Or is that pretty much
where you set 'em?

·
Banned for Life
180 Posts
Re: Dennis....my understanding.....

MagerThom said:
from "one who knows " is that the reburns set fan
performance at:

Low speed fan comes on at:

on 190 / off 186

High speed fan comes on at:

on 204 / off 196

did I misunderstand? Or is that pretty much
where you set 'em?
Actualy when I adjust the fan turn on it comes on High at 185, if you add a 180 stat the car runs much cooler.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Re: Re: Dennis....my understanding.....

Dennis Reinhart said:

Actualy when I adjust the fan turn on it comes on High at 185, if you add a 180 stat the car runs much cooler.
And a whole lot less chance of blown head gaskets and intakes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey Dennis, I'm looking into getting a performance chip. Could you email some info on the benefits of your chips and some estimates on prices please? My email adress is [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Need a chip

Dennis Do you Sell chips for a 96 3.8 id like to get one maby get sum info on it and stuff and what it will inprove can u gimme a email or aim yahoo message me emai lis [email protected] jstaib16 is my Aim Yahoo thanx )

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: Need a chip

Jstaib said:
Dennis Do you Sell chips for a 96 3.8 id like to get one maby get sum info on it and stuff and what it will inprove can u gimme a email or aim yahoo message me emai lis [email protected] jstaib16 is my Aim Yahoo thanx )
best bet is to email or call him. hes a very busy man.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Does anybody knows Dennis mail address?? I tried to get it from his web site.. but it couldn't... Thanx...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts