TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions...

1. Took my strut/spring assembly apart as I'm replacing the stuts. The top mount bushing with the three nuts on it that has the hole in it where the top strut screw goes through. The rubber is cracked about 80% around this hole where hte metal is bonded to it. I think the washer on the top and the big cylinder cup on the bottom would hold it. Should I replace it anyways??

2. Trying to get my inner tie rod off. I don't see a pin or anything that needs to come out first as has been stated here and in my shop manual. Mine is a 1997 so maybe they put the revised part on it? I guess I just need to put a big wrench on it and pull????

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
97TXBIRD said:
2. Trying to get my inner tie rod off. I don't see a pin or anything that needs to come out first as has been stated here and in my shop manual. Mine is a 1997 so maybe they put the revised part on it? I guess I just need to put a big wrench on it and pull????

Thanks!!!!!
It's been a while, but my '97 had a little rivet or something clamping it in place. I just put a big crescent wrench on it and broke it free. I'm not recommending this approach, as it could mess up the threads. But it worked for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm talking about the inner tie rod. Outer tie rod no problem.

Just don't want to mess up the rack and pinion....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad93bird,

What connects the outer tie rod to the rack and pinion on your car?

The outer tie rod threads on to the inner tie rod.

Still havn't attemted to get mine off yet, still waiting on the rest of my parts to come in.....

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I believe it to be a threaded rod that goes into the rack. It has a rubber boot on it so I really have no idea what is in there. I don't want to even try to take it apart. Just buy a new rack and be done with it. My outers are new.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
bad93bird said:
I believe it to be a threaded rod that goes into the rack. It has a rubber boot on it so I really have no idea what is in there. I don't want to even try to take it apart. Just buy a new rack and be done with it. My outers are new.
Pull the rubber boot off, and you will reveal the inner tie rod. It's as easy to replace as the outer. A big crescent wrench will take it right off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts