TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so which do you think is worst? A horribly loud Harley, or kid with a set of 12s in the trunk. Why should it be illegal to have your music to loud but legal to have a bike with no mufflers? Should it be illegal to have your exhaust too loud on a bike the same as it is in car? If this was a topic before I'm sorry I didn't run a search on it. And in which case would a moderator please remove it. Thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
i kinda agree that there should be a limit on both...though its incredibly hard to come up with a good way to measure since sound travels differently depending on acoustics and the environment...my music is slighly loud but im almost deaf...but i turn it down at stoplights so that i dont bug people.

I do sit at 14,000 rpm on my motorcycle with the clutch engaged if you have a loud sound system next to me depending on the music...people dont think its funny lol...but i dont think there music is either so whatever...

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I do sit at 14,000 rpm on my motorcycle with the clutch engaged if you have a loud sound system next to me depending on the music...people dont think its funny lol...but i dont think there music is either so whatever

LOL Cool bud ! :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
While I agree there should be a limit placed on both stereo and exhaust noise, I would assume that if the Harley is loud enough to gather your attention then you would be aware that a motorcycle is near you and you drive more cautiously.

All too many times I see people on the roads darn near kill a rider because "they didn't see him/her". I would think that if you at least hear the bike then you would be more apt to look for it.

I'm not a rider, but I do look for them and when I am near one I treat them as if they are a car, respecting their space. As the saying goes... "loud pipes save lives".\

Just my .02...

Jay

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Noise

The stupid kid and a halfassed stereo!

The sound of a Harley is an American tradition and music to my ears!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Some State's laws noise simply state: "X" db, measured "Y" feet away.

It doesn't matter what it is. The problem is that the motorcycle is usually within spec while at idle, but when cruising they aren't. Where as the kid with the music doesn't turn it down.... and gets busted. :D

That is the way a law should be: Identify the problem (noise in this case), set a clear measurement technique (so many db at a specified distance) and then enforce it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
here in Cali if you get caught with a modified exhaust they have a test. They put the db meter about a foot away from the tail pipe and rev the engine to 3300 rpm and that is how the measure the db of your exhaust. 95 db is the limit in Cali. I never thought to ask about motorcycles, but since they don't even have cats they must run on adifferent set of rules. I would think that your music can't be any louder than 95 db, but that is a problem you, the cops and the JUDGE will have to figure out.

I have a few friends with loud systems and none of them have gotten busted for too loud of music. One of my friends is real stupid and turns the music UP when he sees cops and he never got busted. They yell at him with their in-car bull horn, but that is about it.

So If some one gets a ticket for loud music it is bacause it was either obcenely loud or the cop is in a bad mood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts