TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And to be honest..I'm amazed.I would have never guessed that the bottom end would look like this after as many miles as it had,and with the abuse that I put it through.
Now for the pictures:
The factory cross-hatch is still in the bores and is very visible,with no ring groove whatsoever.

The main bearings were in excellent shape:

Same for the rod bearings:

The pistons skirts only show normal wear:

The cylinder heads had very little carbon buildup(that Ford spray can carbon cleaner must work really well),and look to be in perfect shape:

JL

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
JL is my hero as i begin to roll over 137k......thats 5k in 3 months ;)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yep, that's what a proper mixture will do for you!

With the perfect mixtures the EFI provides, there is very little carbon buildup. No carbon buildup = no "rubbing compound" in the cylinders to wear them out. No grit and grime to get into the oil and slowly eat the bearing away.

Add that to low tension, small rings (1.5mm), and you have a combination for excellent cylinder wear.

I've seen some very high mileage EFI engines torn down and they are all better than a high mileage carbed engine.

EFI rocks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Johnny ! Makes me want to start working on my old 139k mill. How were the valve guides?.....probably the highest wear item?

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leland Jacobson said:
Thanks for the pictures Johnny ! Makes me want to start working on my old 139k mill. How were the valve guides?.....probably the highest wear item?
The guides probably had a little wear as I was starting to get a slight amount of oil smoke after long periods of idling,could have been stem seals too.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
That's amazing... Looks like a friggin Castrol advertisement. What kind and type of oil did you use?

Pete

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIG PETE said:
That's amazing... Looks like a friggin Castrol advertisement. What kind and type of oil did you use?

Pete
Funny you should mention Castrol....
I used their Syntec 5w30 from the 2nd day I owned the car(just over 100 miles on the odometer)until they swapped over to a dino-oil hybrid,then I switced to Mobil 1 5w30.Oil was changed every 3-4K miles.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I've never tried synthetic oil before, but my family has been using regular Castrol since my dad bought a Taurus when they first came out back in 1986 and in all the cars since that one. They have all easily gone past 100,000 miles (115,000 for the Taurus; 128,000 for the Sable; 119,000 for the I30 and counting) before we sold them.

I think those pics just convinced me that the expense of going synthetic is worth it.

Pete

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Before I bought my SC, the previous owner used non-synthetic oil in the engine. I noticed that there was a slight oil leak out of the front seal on the engine. I had the car's oil changed to synthetic and, strangely, the leak has stopped. I have heard that synthetic can *repair* seals and such, but I never really believed it.

Still blown away by that engine...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Johnny,

Other than the spun rod bearing my 200K motor looked the same when I tore it down. These modulars sure seem to hold up to more abuse than the some other motors I've had including the 5.0

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
That's simply amazing! When I helped a friend tear down his 5.0 with 108k, it wasn't in nearly as good condition as that! The bearings where shot and the cylinder wall wasn't as good as shape with way lower miles.

Thanks for sharing the photos JL!

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts