TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing the rear sway bar links last week b/c of missing bushings. While under there, I checked out the front. Seems like there are 3 torn boots (on drivers side...haven't checked pass yet). #1 is on UCA/ball joint, #2 and #3 are on the front sway bar links.

My question then- if these boots are damaged, am i looking at replacing each of those pieces as a whole, or just new bushings/boots? From searching around here, it seems as though people just replace the whole thing. Is this due to infitration of crud into the bushing after boot damage? Opinions?

Seems as though the LCA is good...but isn't there another ball joint down there? Odd are that it is shot as well, huh?

Best place for parts? I had to buy the rear sway link kit at my local dealer b/c needed the car on the road...$140. ouch.

Thanks-
gersting

·
Registered
325 Posts
First, you could have driven it for a while with the old worn out rear end links. Second, if the boots are ripped on the boots up front, then the joints are not long for this world. ou need to replace them.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Once the boots are gone, depending on where you live, they joints are not long for the world. Obviously the upper ball joint and lower ball joint are way more important that the end links, if they go and seperate or jam then you are in trouble. The end links will get noisy and if they fail you will have diminished handling but not a dire problem.

I found that locally I could get the parts for about the same as rockauto.com, maybe that would be a better place for you to get yours. I did get what I could from rockauto.com because with the 10% off (search here for rock auto to get the code or on other car sites) and carefully ordering parts so they came from the same place it helped on shipping and came in under local. If you have the time to wait then it works out well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump- for some part number help

anyone with a compiled list of PNs for the front end?

esp the three mentioned in my original post...

thanks-
gersting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts