TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here heard of or used it? Does it help even a slight bit? The counter man @ Advanced Auto was trying to push it on me when I was buying tubing to make my intake less restrictive.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Actually, it not only doesn't help, but it WILL hurt your performance. For the best airflow, you want the air to move as straight as possible. You only want the air fuel mixture to swirl right as it enters the combustion chamber, and that is just to keep the mixture homogenous so it burns better. Auto manufacturers put a lot of money into engineering to come up with intakes that will have better laminar (straight) flow. Now some idiot comes along and spends $70 on about 50 cents worth of aluminum, and shove it into his intake tract creating all kinds of turbulence and hurting the flow, and therefore reducing power and gas mileage at the same time. I really don't understand how that company can still exist. Every single person who has ever bought one of those pieces of garbage has been ripped off, yet nobody has sued them for false advertising yet. WTF?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do they still advertise that thing on "Two Guys Garage"? I couldn't believe that a show by two supposedly mechanical "experts" would even accept such a sponsor. They even personally talked it up. Money talks, I guess... :(

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Money always talks.The Tornado is a POS.It's claims along with it's design doesn't make any sense.

Save your $70 for the rising fuel cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Tornado" would be more of a restiction than anything. Any "spinning" that p.o.s. would do would be stopped instantly when it hit the butterfly on the throttle body.....think about it....

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
we are gonna install a huge chunk of plastic in yer intake tube to prevent restriction

what?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone here heard of or used it? Does it help even a slight bit? The counter man @ Advanced Auto was trying to push it on me when I was buying tubing to make my intake less restrictive.
Your Counterman at Advanced Auto is a moron.:mad:
Or he thinks you are.:D

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Tell the Advance guy that you will purchase it.......only after you talk him into some beach front North Dakota property.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I had this thing on my Grand marquis and despite all of whats been said here it did make the car more responsive. Fuel savings and horsepower? I don't think it gave me either though. I gave mine to my roommate and he put it into his 3.0 lxi sebring intake. It did exactly what I thought it did to my car, it leans out the fuel mixture. His car runs ridiculously rich from the factory. He chopped his muffler and added a resonated tip, this in turn enriches the mixture even more because the computer compensates for removal of the restriction. So he is happy right now with having it in his car. I've never used it on my bird. I will never buy another one. If you have some super rich running car and want a cheap attempt to lean it out, this is all I can say it is good for. I'd say almost everyone shouldn't ever need to buy this. My odd-ball Grand marquis maybe the exception.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I It did exactly what I thought it did to my car, it leans out the fuel mixture. His car runs ridiculously rich from the factory. He chopped his muffler and added a resonated tip, this in turn enriches the mixture even more because the computer compensates for removal of the restriction. So If you have some super rich running car and want a cheap attempt to lean it out, this is all I can say it is good for. I'd say almost everyone shouldn't ever need to buy this. My odd-ball Grand marquis maybe the exception.

If you place a restiction on the air intake - the result will be a richer mixture not a leaner one.

Not sure what happend with your MGM - but it didn't go lean.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts