1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
GO BOB!!! :D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Pep Boys has them on display at the front of the store for $64.99! "We're car guys" huh?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ok, go ahead and flame me for this one, but I have been thinking......................

Maybe part of the disagreement has to do with the difference between what we consider a performance add-on, and what Tornado is marketing towards.

Most, if not all, of our performance mods are measured either on a dyno or on a dragstrip. In those contexts, the throttle is wide open and the goal is maximum performance. So it makes perfect sense that putting a restriction in the intake path is not productive.

Tornado, on the other hand, is marketing to Joe Blow who know little about cars, and can be convinced by a short ad or flyer. For his use, normal everyday driving, maybe the swirling effect is greater than the restriction effect (since the intake is restricted by the definition of part-throttle anyway).

Part-throttle effects would be next to impossible to verify on a dyno or dragstrip, but could be seen in everyday driving (mpg).

Oh yeah, I do work at Pep Boys, but I have yet to reccommend the Tornado to anyone, just the other day I told someone it wasn't worth it, and they turned out to work in corporate!! No backlash from that yet.......................

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
mamberg said:

Oh yeah, I do work at Pep Boys, but I have yet to reccommend the Tornado to anyone, just the other day I told someone it wasn't worth it, and they turned out to work in corporate!! No backlash from that yet.......................

stick it to those corporate types. If it does come back on you, stick to your guns. Why should you recomend a product that as far as anyone can tell is just BS? Because the buyers got a good deal and overbought something they're having a hard time unloading? Tell them you refuse to risk the relationship you have with customers so the company can sell a few more units. They'll eat that one up. Can ya tell I used to work retail?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
StupidFly said:

stick it to those corporate types. If it does come back on you, stick to your guns. Why should you recomend a product that as far as anyone can tell is just BS? Because the buyers got a good deal and overbought something they're having a hard time unloading? Tell them you refuse to risk the relationship you have with customers so the company can sell a few more units. They'll eat that one up. Can ya tell I used to work retail?
Yeah I agree. Tell them that you'll be honest with customers so they don't waste their money on a useless product. Having a returning customer that knows they are getting honest service will pay off HUGE over a nonreturning customer that got ripped off on a useless piece of plastic.

·
8,239 Posts
I put two of them on the bird, and now it gets 47mpg. And I can run 87 if I want and the car runs delightful.

:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
not to be off topic but doesn't that guy in the artical look like that guy on every Incubus album.
Lets see!!!

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Holy crap!

But what does that guy on the Incubus albums know about the Tornado? :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
I dont see how it is a fuel saver? It forces more air into your car, that means it would have to use more gas, right?

I know what you are saying mamberg, Like spoilers on cars, Originally they were used to adjust the downforce on a car for traction, Then they started putting them on cars as an apperance thing, like fake induction hoods, So technically, they are more of an appearance mod.

·
Registered
515 Posts
well i see how they could work on carbed car becuase it would indeed mix the fuel and air better...but on FI application i cant really see how it would improve anything because even if it does spin the air, the throttle plate will obstruct the spiral...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I doubt that they are marketing just to carbed cars though,

Ill buy one and put it on my 1973 Yamaha Tx750, Its the only carbed thing I have, Its so rare that a guy guarenteed its the only one in the state. Yea right, I doubt that the waranty would be able to replace what it would screw up on the bike.

How big is this thing.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, I have a slightly modified induction system (frankenstein), and ended up putting vanes in the 4" outlet from the air box to straighten out what was a variabile turbulance at the MAF.... Ran much better with those straight vanes .... Now, who in God's Green Acres would add turbulance to the airpath of an EFI induction system.... Amazing!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Won't this intake restriction just go away???

*shakes head*

·
Registered
22 Posts
So has anyone acctually bought one and tried it? I know two people that have purchased them and have been satisfied with the results. One was on an RV and it gained 5MPG, the other was just a pickup, it gained 3-4MPG. Both of the vehicles are EFI. I haven't gotten one yet, But I'm looking into it. It seems to me that Everyone that has replied has only thought that it doesn't work, but doesn't have any first hand experience with it. Personaly, If I could save 3-5 MPG on a $65 investment, it would pay for itself in 5000 miles, then continue to save me money after that. How is that not a good thing?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not a good thing for your engine, when the dinky little blades break off.

Where do you think they will end up ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Pln81; thats why youre a newbie..... There are some who experience a positive effect from Marijuana, heroin, or cocaine, but science sez it cant be good, and thats that ... same with the toranado.... only this case involves some verry basic engineering.... the postal service and other agencies will eventually bust them , but there will still be guys who swear by them.... I have my own 'tornado' callede a powerdyne , and it does make power at the expense of more fuel, ands uses proven engineering theories...Heck there are still some people that swear by the magnets sewn into a mattress for an xtra $1000, or so, but I guarantee you that really doesnt work either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts