TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is not going to be a race car, just a daily driver with 3:73's, jmod, pi heads, and a tune.
I was talking to circle d, and pretty much my cheapest option there is over 1200 dollars for a 2800 stall converter by the time it gets shipped to canada.
Do any of you guys have a different, more cost friendly alternative for my needs?

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
The Marauder TC with appropriate flex plate. Not sure of the exact model number from Ford. Search the site for it.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I checked with ford yesterday, and they told me that there are no more 2004 marauder converters left in north america.

There is a rebuild listed on rockauto for the 2004 marauder, but I am unsure whether to trust a rebuilt tc from that site.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
If it’s really a marauder converter I’d consider it (verify that it is by making sure it’s not the same part number as grand Marquis and whatnot). I had a rebuilt Marauder converter in mine, I got it from Ford but they outsource the rebuilding so it’s probable it’s the same quality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It says f63p, which appears to be a tc for a crown vic or crown vic pi after a couple cursory searches

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
11 Posts
Rockauto will sell you the right flywheel and converter. The marauder converter IS the proper one. Its the 11.75 inch converter vs our 12.75 inch converter. Ive been considering purchasing it myself. I buy parts from rockauto all the time. They just sell the same stuff that worldpac sells. Usually at better prices.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The price for that F63P torque converter is $253.89 which includes $100.00 core charge. Are you allowed to send back any old torque converter, meaning the stock Thunderbird converter, or are they expecting an old Marauder part?

They also list the flexplate as FRA560 and FRA560HD (from Pioneer) both as replacements for the Ford #4W7Z6375AA, which show that that's also correct for the '96-'97 Thunderbird. Is that true, I mean did those years of Thunderbird have a heavy duty flexplate option? Is there a difference between the HD and regular flexplates, and are they different from the other option (ATP flexplate Z345 for Ford #4W7Z6375AA, F3LY6375A, F6AZ6375BA)?

This seems like by far the cheapest/easiest way to get the better torque converter vs. aftermarket or slogging through wrecking yards trying to find a used one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think returning a core from canada is cost prohibitive, so I will just eat the 100 bucks.
It is considerably cheaper than an aftermarket version when you just want to turn your rev limiter up without ballooning your torque converter.

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
11 Posts
The price for that F63P torque converter is $253.89 which includes $100.00 core charge. Are you allowed to send back any old torque converter, meaning the stock Thunderbird converter, or are they expecting an old Marauder part?

They also list the flexplate as FRA560 and FRA560HD (from Pioneer) both as replacements for the Ford #4W7Z6375AA, which show that that's also correct for the '96-'97 Thunderbird. Is that true, I mean did those years of Thunderbird have a heavy duty flexplate option? Is there a difference between the HD and regular flexplates, and are they different from the other option (ATP flexplate Z345 for Ford #4W7Z6375AA, F3LY6375A, F6AZ6375BA)?

This seems like by far the cheapest/easiest way to get the better torque converter vs. aftermarket or slogging through wrecking yards trying to find a used one.
If you read the "info" tab on rockauto they will give you specific measurements and any other pertinent information. I think the heavy duty flexplate is just made of a higher quality steel and welded on both sides. I believe the rockauto supplied reman is an excellent option and will probably swap those parts in when i do my own JMOD

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,138 Posts
I rebuild transmissions. My supplier sells me rebuilt Marauder converters. They don't call them "Marauder converters". They know the diameter, the K factor, and that they are furnace brazed. And they aren't expensive either. They are from a company named Transtar. The part number is FM70HD. Look for that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
So the f63p is the wrong part? Rockauto has shipped it already.:oops:
What does 'mid-stall' mean?
Is this a lower stall than the marauder converter?

I can't cancel the order without eating the 100 dollar shipping or whatever it was.
Perhaps I should just use it. I wonder what the difference is, mid stall tells me nothing, so I will assume it is pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
11 Posts
It should be the right part. The measurements are right for the size of the converter. But Supergordo seems to have more intimate knowledge of exactly what goes in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I assume the hd means heavy duty, whether that means I would notice or not is another thing

·
Registered
74 Posts
I rebuild transmissions. My supplier sells me rebuilt Marauder converters. They don't call them "Marauder converters". They know the diameter, the K factor, and that they are furnace brazed. And they aren't expensive either. They are from a company named Transtar. The part number is FM70HD. Look for that.
Ya, I looked online, that seems to be the deal. There is also an FM70 from them, I think, I wonder if that is not heavy duty. Anyway, the places that sell those Transtar converters list them as not fitting my 1995 Thunderbird, I assume because of the wrong flexplate. Thanks for that info, I think I might go that route unless there is a way to confirm that RockAuto is selling the exact same thing.

Since you rebuild transmissions, can you say what else is different/better about that Transtar converter compared to a stock Thunderbird converter? Are the internal parts the same as stock in terms of durability? Would you say that the Transtar rebuilt converter is an improvement on the Marauder converter (better parts) or exactly the same?

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
SuperNewbie
3,138 Posts
Transtar supllies rebuilt converters to most transmission shops in the US for all cars. The Fm70 is more likely like a Mustang Converter. the HD is the furnace brazed version. I could get all the part numbers tomorrow. From stock on up. If you are not making bug power the FM70 probaly wouldn't seem much different from the FM70HD. I apologize as I haven't seen what Rockauto is offering recently. So I can't compare at the moment.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
SuperNewbie
3,138 Posts
For what it is worth a Mustang Gt, a Lincoln Mark 8 and a Mercury Marauder all have the same diameter converter. With similar stall speeds. The Marauder was furnace brazed for strength. There are plenty threads and I believe tech articles that discuss converters here. In the end it is really about what you are running and what you want to achieve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts