TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the check engine light come on today while driving and the code that i get when i check it is: torque converter electrical system. Can anyone tell me what this means and what action i should take.

Thanks
Willum

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more information if it helps

Thunderbird LX
1995 V8 4.6L
K&N panel
removed Air silencer
FRPP 9MM wires

I have the motorsports wires and recently noticed that when the torqe convertor is locked and the car is given light to medium throttle to accelerate(without unlocking tc) that the engine seems like it misses. The reason i mention the wires is that i found a sliver of metal coming out of the dis boot that was allowing the spark to ark(i guess to the hood). I removed the sliver and still have the miss. The only other explanation i can think of is that the torque converter is actually slipping slightly when that occurs.

Its kindof odd that the light came on today, i was about to have my MKVIII driveshaft installed. While the driveshaft shop owner was driving the car to try to figure out some vibrations, the light came on. By the way, the shaft is slightly bent and i'll have to find another one.

The owner suggested that i take the car to a transmission shop, have them remove the pan, change the filter and inspect anything found in the pan and take action accordingly. Is this a good idea? Fluid/filter does need changed and i'd like to goto Mercon V.

Anyway, i would greatly appreciate any help anyone can throw my way on this.
Sorry for leaving out the info about the car, but i haven't posted on here much since the new design of the forums and i was used to it having the stuff filled in about my car already.

Thanks
Willum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts