TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a high performance torque converter "high performance"; what can it do, that a stock one doesn't?

and...
What makes a particular stall speed the right one for someone's car?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The higher stall TC is kinda like dumping the clutch on a standard. It lets you get into the higher rev range faster, where you power is. To match a TC to your engine, you kinda want to know the power band so you can buy a TC with a stall speed a little below your peak torque rpm. TCs also balloon once they get to a certain rpm, and when they do, its all over but the crying. Your stock on balloons at about 5400rpm, thats one reason your shift points are so low, as well as your stock redline. I THINK the stock converter is 12", and a physically smaller TC will allow a tuner to set your rev limiters higher because you don't have the same balloon dangers. You can easily put a 10" Mark VIII TC in yours and notice a nice difference

As for a higher stall TC, that'll usually give you harder launches and a more powerful feel with intown driving. It may also drop 1-3 tenths off your ET, depending on hw well you launch.

Say I put a Lincoln Mark VIII TC in my stock 95 4.6 TBird. The Mk viii TC stalls between the 2100-2200rpm ranges. My stock one stalls at like 1800 i THINK. When I take my car racing, I an launch at about 1600rpms and that'll give me a pretty good launch. If I put a Mk viii TC in, I'll be able to launch at around 1800-1900rpms. A bit more power and torque available at that instant.

So in essence, a higher stall TC means you don't have to wait so long to hit your powerband. Make sense?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who and how much?

"To match a TC to your engine, you kinda want to know the power band so you can buy a TC with a stall speed a little below your peak torque rpm."

How do I find this out,...dyno?

Do you have recommendations on a brand? What is the process and what is a ballpark figure on costs.

Thanks for the info AverageJoe:)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, call Dan Newman at 5 Star Ford and he can hook you up with a brand new Mark VIII TC for like $200. Ready to install.

As for matching your powerband, you wuold get that info from a dyno, but on a stock car, the Mark VIII TC is considered to be the best to have. It gives you more stall, without it being too much stall, gives you full drivability, and and has good wear durability.

If you wanted a little more than just a 2100-2200 stall converter, you could call Dennis at www.reinhartautomotive.com and he could help you out with some better advice than I can offer.

·
8,239 Posts
I'd be interested in getting the difference at the track between a Mark Torque converter, and say a PROTORQUE, or Precision Industries Model?

JH

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Buy me one of each and I'll gladly do the testing for you. But any parts I test, I keep as a service charge ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts