TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 cougar 4.6L with an automatic OD transmission. Problem started around 38,000 miles with torque converter shudder. A fluid change fixed the problem. Fluid in trans was changed every 25,000 miles after that.

Now the car has 80,000 miles and the shudder has returned, but the fluid change didn't help. My transmission repair man tried to re-torque the bolts on the valve body (i'm not sure) but it didn't help, he also added an additive to make the fluid more sticky. Still have the shudder when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I'm the original owner and this car has never been abused. Whats up with the torque converter taking a dump on me like this? Any remedies short of replacing the converter? help!

-hooD :cool:

·
Registered
855 Posts
not sure if your year was covered in this, but i believe that ford's fix to TC shudder was also implemented by using a different version of their computer ROM......they'd take your PCM and reprogram the shift points and other data on it......might want to look and see if this has been done....

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Are you using Mercon V transmission fluid?
If not, you should try it, as that is part of the fix for the shudder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is also...

A product called " Instant Shudder Stop" ( forgive the spelling), Drain the Tranny and Converter. Then refill with Mercon V transmission fluid and a tube of the the fixer... Ask any tranny shop, it is common.... with the MN12 tranny's

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here's what to do...

Drain the fluid as Kfentress said, and add only Mercon V tranny fluid to the Tranny....Then add a tranny cooler, B&M is Very Highly recommended.

If this does not help then you need a new torque converter, If you need a new converter, Get a different converter (not the stock one that came with the car)....I think it's the Mark VIII converter that is the best one.....it doesn't have this problem.

Not exactly sure if it's the Mark VII one...double check that, i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

BeirutsFinest

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You'll want a 10" Mark 8 TC. You need the flexplate to use it. they book for ~$250 but can get them for $200 from five star ford if your a member.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you...

If you don't want to spend the money right now the shudder fix really works. Of course it is a temp not the solution. I had it done and have not had any shudder since. I get the tranny fluid changed out every 15k miles,

I want to replace the TC and it is the best option, but if you want a quick cheap fix.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
;) Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will first make sure that the trans shop used mercon V fluid and take it from there. Thanks again.

96 Merc Cougar XR7
4.6L V8 205HP
AEOD Trans
Posi Rearend
K&N Air Filter
Original Owner
80,250 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tranny Shudder in MN12

First off,

I'd like to really thank this web site and all the posts. I've learned a lot and I've felt "armed with info" whenever I walk into my local Ford Service Shop.

I have some questions. It seems that the Shudder issue in the MN12's is a major issue.

1. Are there any TSB's on this?
2. If this is a documented issue, as I'm seeing by all the posts on this site,
why isn't there a recall?
3. If Ford doesn't want to recall, what would be the consensus of the users on this group lanching a class action lawsuit?

As I see it now, this is an inherit problem with many MN12's. If it was a safety issue, you bet we'd be screeming, but since it's not a life or death issue, it seems as if we're lying over and playing dead.

Any additional information and suggestions into this matter would greatly be appreciated

96 V8 Green Machine

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well

Well, Ford has plenty of TSB's concerning the transmission. They have a TSB for switching to MerconV, changing solenoids, replacing the converter....The tranny is also covered for 100,000 miles, So i they tried to do alot concerning this...however I have wondered the same thing....Why did they not recall?, why did they have to wait till something went wrong? Why did they not make this information more available?

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
246 Posts
why?, why? you ask why ? ......

because they are cheap bastiges!!!
Ford will never admit to anything, even if there is a recall they will find everyway out of it they can. Even if they have arecall they won't always tell you about it. And honestly, sometimes the shop doesn't even know there has been a recall if they have 1)never read the bulletin or 2) never had a car in with your problem.

As for to TC problem....mine was shuddering something fierce...it tore open my front seal..my tranny shop replaced the TC, the tranny pump( for good measure, so they wouldn't see me again for awhile:p ) and the front seal for only $340.00 canadian. (About $230.00USD ) Taht was for parts and labour!:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cheap Bastiges ...LOL

YES! There are a ton of transmission-related TSBs.

I was amazed when I signed up for 'em at alldata.com. They were invaluable when I was "in training" to tear into my 'Bird's tranny.

The class action lawsuit might be something -- because I know that Crown Vics with the same engine/tranny combo had the same problems -- so there would probably be a large enough "pool" of folks who'd be interested, but...

...since I set mine up, she's GOLDEN, and NO WAY would I let some ham-fisted dealer technician mess around with it now.

The guy with the Mercon V hair conditoner,;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chlngr:

So you have a 72 challenger? I have a '73 340 CUDA i bought right out of high school. Still have the factory F70-14 Polyglass GoodYears on the front.

But back to the TC shudder issue...the trans shop told me it was probably the switch on the TC that is causing the pressure to be low. He said he would diagnoss it for free. The switch would cost me $230 and the TC if it was bad would be $400 (including a new switch).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Torque converter shudder

Well my car is in the shop now... I told them to do an entire flush of the system, including the TC, pan, filters etc.. and replace fluid w/ Mercon V, based upon the advise from these posts.

The service manager said, that should do the trick at $168.00. So, another $400 to $500 in maintenance is out of the questions. I've already put $1600 in maintenance just in the last three months.

My friends who drive Honda's, Nissan's and BMW's all make fun of my car. In the past two years I'm the only one of the group who's got my car in the shop for something or other at least every three months, and this is with regular scheduled Ford Maintenance, I oil change faithfully every 3k and use Mobile One, interior and exterior are detailed constantly...

These other guys are lucky if they get their oil changed once a year...

Oh well, It's a Ford... You either love them or hate them.... ;-)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Love 'em!

Pgirolam! HooD!

Sure hope y'all have read all the info that can be found on the tech pages here before ya start layin' out long green on what other folks are sayin'...

I'm not gonna go as far as discrediting the pros that have looked at your cars, or possibly test-driven them, but geez -- what you're going through sounds awful familiar to the crap my low-mile car was pulling!

P -- wow! Hate to hear about all the troubles and cash outlays, and I can REALLY appreciate the wallet-ectomy aspect, but if I was going to go as far as the full flush, I'd do (or get done) all "THE" tranny mod stuff, Mercon V, and a cooler.

In fact, that's what I did. And since I'm "bucks down" too, I did it all myself.

Again, I can't specifically confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt, but it really seems that doing everything at once rewards you with a tranny that will be practically bulletproof behind a mostly stock motor.

And, if that is indeed the case, then you can scratch tranny problems off your list for a very long time.

I can confirm that, after doing it all, there is NO MORE SHUDDER, and the 1-2 shift is sweet! Chirp! Chirp!

H -- yep, my long term "Garage Queen" is a '72 Challenger. I bought it in '86 from the original grandma owner with 49K on it. I'm at 99K now. She's black over Hemi Orange, 318/2BBL/A904/2.76 one-legger. I pulled her off the road in '95 so I'd still have something worth saving when the time came.

The time is real close now.:D

The guy with two too many cars,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chlngr:

I know the feeling of owning too many cars! My part time job is doing tune-ups and changing oil on my small fleet of vehicles.

I'm not doing anything yet with the XR7's TC shudder until after Labor Day. It just ticks me off to no end that this tranny is such a piece of crap.

73 CUDA *340* 34,000 mi * original owner
81 F-150 *4.9L* 206,800 mi * original owner
89 Merc Grand MQ *5.0L* 100,000 mi
91 Ranger *3.0L* 143,000 mi
94 Grand Am *2.3L* 142,000 mi
96 Merc Cougar XR7 *4.6L* 80,300 mi * original owner
02 F-150 * 13,000 mi *5.4L* original owner (my newest baby) :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chlngr

Chlnger,

I appreciate your comments, but 'do it myself' isn't an option. Moreover, I shouldn't have to do anything. Is it acceptable that I have to crawl under my car and do my own fix it jobs? This is un-reasonable and impossible. I live in a high rent, thickly settled, on-street only parking, Boston Suburb... Crawling under my car to rebuild my tranny is ubsurd!

My wife just private sold a 10+year old Honda CRX and got $3,500 for it. Had no issues at all. Only scheduled maintenance. My brother's 89 Honda Accord... No issues. All my colegues who own Nissan's or Honda's laugh at my situation. I get more rides to work on the back of my friends BMW K1100 than in my own car. This is becoming embarrising.

My friends BMW 740IL with 142,000 miles, no issues. My friends 100,000 mile Nissan Maxima... no issues.. My Ford's EVERY ISSUE UDNER THE SUN. I have yet to ever own a Ford to 100k that didn't have either tranny or head gasket or BOTH issues.

I will give credit to Ford that the quality issues of the late 80's and early 90's such as paint, electronics (door locks, door lock motors, rear defrosters, heaters, pwr seat) things have got a lot better. My t-bird hasn't had those issues... It's a first.

My car hasn't even turned 100,000 miles, the shudder in the Tranny started at 75k. According to posts on this site, it seems I'm not the only person who's had this issue. It would appear that this is an "In herrant problem". This issue should be addressed with a Recall or a class action lawsuit. Is it acceptable that my tranny and every one else's t-bird is going to go bad at 75k? Is this acceptable?

The full all and out flush and fill with filter changes yesterday didn't work. $150.00 plus they ran computer diag.. This didn't reveal anything. The Ford Dealers suggestion was to go for a tranny over haul.

I could understand if I raced my car. I could understand if I did things to it not recommended by the dealer. But my car goes every 25k for a complete Maintenance Check. I follow the owners manual to a "T." I would hate to see what happens if I beat on the car.

I'm going to overhaul it alright.. I'm going to overhaul it to a Nissan, Honda or BMW dealerand get a late model auto and get rid of my Ford troubles once and for all.
I'm not saying they're perfect... But if Ford thinks that a tranny going at 75k is acceptable... They've just lost one Ford customer.

-pg

·
Registered
477 Posts
How much for a brand-new tranny?

AOD-E would be fine cause I'd bulletproof it right away.

Pat

·
Registered
220 Posts
ok people calm down about a recall on the torque converter. Any, and I mean any, car company will NOT issue a recall on a part simply because it goes bad. Look at any 4 cylinder and 3.8L ford engines. All they are good for is blowing head gaskets.
That is just one example. Every car has thier issues and so does every car company. It just so happens we get stuck with a bad torque converter. Do we see a recall on that. Ford will not do anything simply because it goes bad. There has to be some sort of safety issue or a problem at the factory for a recall to be issued. Another thing, tell your friends wait until thier tranny goes. Your fix is $300 or so dollars. Theirs will be $2000 or more. Then you can laugh at them. Trust me, I have plenty of friends with rice burners and I laugh when anything goes wrong with thier car. Cause it cost twice sometimes 3 times as much to fix it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tranny Shudder

I'm a newbee to your site, probable new member! I work for a county government Fleet Maintenance facility. The guys in the car repair shop tell me they have been using Mopar 440 trans fruid in the Crown Vic's with 100% success. I have tried this myself and it works!!! feels like a new trans!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts