TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting "true duals" put on this coming monday w/ an X-pipe. I will still have my stock 2 cats on by the headers and flowmaster 40 muffs in the rear. With this setup will I experience and torque loss or notice any diff driving it? I'm thinking the pipe size will be 2.5'' or 2.25'' at the very least. What you guys think?

·
Registered
73 Posts
This afternoon I'm picking up my car with its new stainless steel header-back exhaust system. New cats, x-pipe, dual 2.25" pipes to mufflers in the back. I asked them to make it quiet. I can report back later how it sounds and feels.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
that x-pipe should help too and if you have a stock engine with little or no mods do go with 2.25 exhaust as weswing04 said

Make sure to post sum pics when get this done!!!!

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I think I might have lost a little after I had my true duals done. I had 2.5" from behind the stock cats with Magnaflow mufflers in the stock location.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be sure to take my Digital camera with me Monday :). Before and After pics hehe. Thanks for advice... ill just go 2.25''. Though my X pipe is 2.5''. They can adjust for that.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another thing.... can anyone kinda describe the sound from true duals w/ x pipe? Right now I have the stock setup except for... Removed 3rd Cat and Resonator... and flowmaster 40's in rear. Big diff from that sound? Louder? Better Tone?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got true duals on my '95 cat. 2.5" w/ H-pipe, no cats header back, flowmaster orig. 40's. It gained TQ and HP by the seat of my pants. Now the car chirps tires from 1-2 shift. It really sounds mean accept for the damn rattle the mufflers make inside of them at about 1800 - 2200 RPM. The engine flows more now so I can use the 24# inj. now. Runs better/stronger with the 24's anyway.

I'm getting exhausted,

Clay

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
cman2007 said:
I got true duals on my '95 cat. 2.5" w/ H-pipe, no cats header back, flowmaster orig. 40's. It gained TQ and HP by the seat of my pants. Now the car chirps tires from 1-2 shift. It really sounds mean accept for the damn rattle the mufflers make inside of them at about 1800 - 2200 RPM. The engine flows more now so I can use the 24# inj. now. Runs better/stronger with the 24's anyway.

I'm getting exhausted,

Clay
gained torque?!? I lost a sh*t load when I put the ART system on without cats...My 95 will smoke me, and the 94 has the same mods PLUS U/D's and less milage...My wife and I dragged after I did the U/D's on the 94, she had me by almost a car length...Now, would a shift kit vs. no shift kit make that big of a dif??? Or did I REALLY lose some torque due to the no cats??? Just curious....Like I said, her car has true duals, but the cats are still 100% functional, on the 94, there are 0 cats!!!! Sorry for the off topic post, but I feel it is somewhat relavant :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
cman2007 said:
I'm getting exhausted,

Clay
that's a knee-slapper there... :rolleyes: :D

anyway, what do you guys think about getting 2.5" from the headers to 2.5" cats, then reduce it down to 2.25 the rest of the way for slighty modified to non-modified engines, then when you're making a lot more power, you can cut it off at the reducers and go 2.5" all the rest of the way back?

if it worked, it would be a good way to keep from having to spend as much money the second time around. the tubing itself is pretty cheap if you just get some of that jeg's mandrel-bent tubing, then cut it and have it welded in the shape you want, and then just the extra cost for the muffler and tips.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been driving with my new exhaust system for 2 days now. There's some fitment issues I'll have to go back to the shop for. One of the pipes knocks against the differential housing on big bumps, and the subframe crossmember can't be put back on. The dual pipes hang too low.
Anyway, what I've got now is JBA headers which I hope haven't cracked, because I hear a fluttering sound when I go above 2k rpm, who knows what it is. I've had this noise since the Allen kit was installed.
The rest of the system is stainless steel, two high-flow cats, x-pipe, 2.25" duals to the back and 2 mufflers.
It's pretty quiet. There's a low rumbling sound throughout the rpm range.
Performance seems pretty good. I don't think there's any torque loss at the low end. The power builds smoothly up to 6k. A few people recommended I get a true dual system. so I did. I doubt there's any performance loss compared to a 2-1-2 system, maybe a little gain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had to have gaine TQ and HP on my exhaust job. That day when I left the shop (I wanted to hear it open up) I left rubber at 2 lights and I couldn't to that before. It would just skreech a little. And when I hit passing gear it really pins me back in the seat. After I installed the UD pullies it would chirp 2nd on any pavement in D.

Clay

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
IMO 2.5" is fine and does keep torque and definitly gains horsepower

1 - 16 of 16 Posts