TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been away for awhile but still browse the posts now and again.

Here's the question: Do I have to use torque to yield head bolts on my 3.8? I know I don't HAVE to.... But what problems will I see with using normal bolts for $20 vs. the correct ones for $95?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, so I went to the store and bought a set of bolts for $35. I swear I paid $90+ the last time I needed a set. Am I crazy?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
arp head studs for a 2.8 chevy v6. about $80 from summit racing. i have them, about $30 cheaper than the tbird ones.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones I picked up are from Advanced, $35 for the pair (both sides). They are Felpro but don't say a thing about being torque to yield or not. I just don't know if the ones I have now are okay for the engine or if I have to go find something else. If my felpro's are not tty, are they going to cause a problem?

God, I read my posts and they seem to be such noob questions, lol

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Fel-Pro bolts are torque to yield, any OEM replacement bolts are torque to yield. The only ones that are not TTY are the ARP studs, which have a much stronger clamping force and dont let the head move around on the block, which can be attributed to headgasket failure. They are also a must for high performance boosted applications.
-Thomas

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and the info. It all makes sense, now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts