TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm doing a rebuild/upgrade to my differential. For now all I've bought is a Torsen Differential 28 Spline for 8.8 and 3.73 Gears for 8.8. This is suppose to fit, right?
I wanted to change all the bearings and seals, but when i went to auto parts store all they showed is a universal kit for 8.8, witch is probably for a live axle.
My question is do i have to go to the dealer for those parts, or someone knows a place that I can get the whole kit, the bearings, seal, ect.

Any help or advice would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
Summit racing should have all the parts you need. Just put in the vehicle and it should bring up all the diff parts. You won't regret the torsen, those are great diffs but pricy.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got something close to 40,000 miles on my Torsen, and I love it! Has been bulletproof to this point (we'll see how it does with an extra 150 Hp), and gave the car amazing traction in bad weather when I was still using it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You should get axle and pinion seals from Ford. I don't like the aftermarket seals there.

Ford Racing actually has everything you need at a decent price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've decided to take my diff to a auto shop, I think is much better this way then me putting it together.
So does anybody knows any other parts or tricks that would give my car more acceleration or increase my 1/4 times?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wojtekspc,

The usual recommendations are (more or less in order):
* looser torque converter
* less restrictive exhaust system
* hotter cams
* forced induction

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to revive a 3-year old thread, but concerning Torsen diffs, I'm quite interested in making the conversion.

The FRPP Cobra diff is a direct swap, is it not? Also, I know that with a clutch-type limited slip you add a friction modifier to the diff lube. This is not the case with a Torsen, correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
solo2dirtybird,

Not sure about the FRPP Cobra part being a direct fit. The T-Bird axles are 28 spline; may not be the same as Cobra.

With a Torsen you do not require friction modifier.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The cobra diff is not a direct fit as mike said. The cobra uses a 31 spline setup versus the tbirds 28 spline setup.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Almost forgot, the '99 cobra did use a 28 spline diff.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Also, I know that with a clutch-type limited slip you add a friction modifier to the diff lube. This is not the case with a Torsen, correct?
The Friction Modifier is only for clutch type limited slips. It's still available, but not necessarily needed; check the label of some modern quality gear lubes. Chances are, it's already included in the lube. I know Royal Purple and Richmond Gear gear lube has it included and I'm sure others do as well.

Back in the day.......it wasn't included in the petroleum-based gear lube and it had to be added to the TL equipped differentials as a separate ingredient.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought I had read on here that the MN12 axles are 28-spline and that the 28-spline Cobra IRS Torsens will fit.

DirtyDog - In a drag racing application, I'd agree with you 100%; I'd want the reliability and rebuildability of a traditional limited slip, but I will use this car primarily for autocross with a basically stock engine, and it is my understanding that the Torsen diff is a better mousetrap for that application. But since I've caught your attention and you're apparently the go-to converter guy for these cars, I'll be posting in the 4R70W forum shortly... I'd like your opinion on something, if you haven't already given it elsewhere in the forum!

Interesting that the modern gear lubes have the friction modifiers in them already. I used to stay on top of stuff like that... Been out of it the last couple years.

My idea was to get a Mark 8 pumpkin and build it with some autocross-friendly gears and a Torsen diff and swap it with the factory unit for some more grip and revs that are more conducive to fast lap times. :D

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 XLT V8
975 Posts
I thought I had read on here that the MN12 axles are 28-spline and that the 28-spline Cobra IRS Torsens will fit.

DirtyDog - In a drag racing application, I'd agree with you 100%; I'd want the reliability and rebuildability of a traditional limited slip, but I will use this car primarily for autocross with a basically stock engine, and it is my understanding that the Torsen diff is a better mousetrap for that application. But since I've caught your attention and you're apparently the go-to converter guy for these cars, I'll be posting in the 4R70W forum shortly... I'd like your opinion on something, if you haven't already given it elsewhere in the forum!

Interesting that the modern gear lubes have the friction modifiers in them already. I used to stay on top of stuff like that... Been out of it the last couple years.

My idea was to get a Mark 8 pumpkin and build it with some autocross-friendly gears and a Torsen diff and swap it with the factory unit for some more grip and revs that are more conducive to fast lap times. :D
T-Bird axles are 28 spline and the Cobra Torsen unit that I posted the link to on summit will work with these cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sweet!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts