TCCoA Forums banner

Tossing an idea out there: Lorain, OH - Back to the Birthplace meet?

2K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  1995 cougar xr7 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In order to try and promote member bonding (lol), I came up with a idea. I have never gone on a real road trip before. And with cruising season just around the corner, I'm itchin to do some driving.

Here we go:

Would there be any interest in having a large meet-up, even including members of SCCoA, at the birthplace of our MN-12's; the Lorain, Ohio plant. I was reading the thread were somebody here, went down there and took some cool looking pictures.
I know its a long shot, but It sounds like fun.

I believe the SC/XR7 shootout is like the 2nd week in October. Maybe we can organize this to happen sometime in the summer months.

Im open to suggestions :thumbsup:

#2 ·
You're not going to get very many bites on this..In the "Members Only" section..

Ask the same question in the "Club Forum".. :)

I think it would be pretty neat if we could organize a meet, and get the OK from the people at the old Lorain plant..

Unfortunately..Work always seems to get in the way of my fun..So I'm out.. :(

Rayo..

#6 ·
Come on Rayo, your already in Ohio. Im sure you can devote a day to a meet? :D

I'll move this thread to the Club forum.

It's a great idea and I'd be interested but I'm only allowed two Tbird meets a year (per the wife :tongue: and my schedule). So I go to Summer blast and meet with the Carolina Crew after Thanksgiving for our annual Carolina Shoot out / T&T.

I'd suggest you try to make it to the Joel Bender Summer Blast meet in Martinsburg, West VA. in late August. It's an established MN12 meet and it's about the same distance from you as Lorain, OH is.

Summer Blast is alread scheduled for the weekend of August 22-24, 2014. I plan on going again this year and hope to see as many of you there as possible.
Is there a good turn up at the summer blast?

#3 ·
I'll move this thread to the Club forum.

It's a great idea and I'd be interested but I'm only allowed two Tbird meets a year (per the wife :tongue: and my schedule). So I go to Summer blast and meet with the Carolina Crew after Thanksgiving for our annual Carolina Shoot out / T&T.

I'd suggest you try to make it to the Joel Bender Summer Blast meet in Martinsburg, West VA. in late August. It's an established MN12 meet and it's about the same distance from you as Lorain, OH is.

Summer Blast is alread scheduled for the weekend of August 22-24, 2014. I plan on going again this year and hope to see as many of you there as possible.

#4 ·
I'm down! Thunderbird meet in ohio would be great!

#5 · (Edited)
In order to try and promote member bonding (lol), I came up with a idea. I have never gone on a real road trip before. And with cruising season just around the corner, I'm itchin to do some driving.

Here we go:

Would there be any interest in having a large meet-up, even including members of SCCoA, at the birthplace of our MN-12's; the Lorain, Ohio plant. I was reading the thread were somebody here, went down there and took some cool looking pictures.
I know its a long shot, but It sounds like fun.

I believe the SC/XR7 shootout is like the 2nd week in October. Maybe we can organize this to happen sometime in the summer months.

Im open to suggestions :thumbsup:
I'd be game (well duh, it's a 20 minute drive from my house ;)) but we'd need to contact the current plant manager to determine if having all of us there would be permitted. Last year when I went there to take pics they were in a "transition state" where I got the impression they were trying to sell off another section of the old plant.

If enough people express serious interest, I can drive down and see if I can get the plant manager's number (again) from the security guard and run the idea past him.

There's enough area around the plant to drive past, look at stuff etc. and the parking lot in front of the main doors where I was taking some of the pictures is not fenced and is accessible from Baumhart Rd. There's also a dragstrip in Norwalk which is probably a 45-60 minute drive from Lorain.

For those interested, the "approximate" location you can Google for the plant is 5405 Baumhart Rd, Lorain, OH.

#7 ·
ricklovin93 said:
Come on Rayo, your already in Ohio. Im sure you can devote a day to a meet? :D

Maybe.. I'm not making any promises though..I usually work 7 days a week..

If this meet makes it to the planning stages..I'll let you know then..

Rayo..

#8 ·
If anybody is a member over on sccoa, maybe try relaying this over there. Maybe there will be some more interest

#10 ·
Hour an a half for me, $120 in gas. Haha! :rofl:

#14 ·
Even if we can only get half a dozen cars to meet up here, I think it would be a lot of fun - whether the plant manager lets us in or not. I've seen old threads talk about doing this but to my knowledge nobody has.

#17 ·
I'm mildly interested. Just depends on timing.

My only worry would be where I'm going to stay.

Round trip gas and food would be about $250.

Never been to a strip. So it'd be a nice experience, on top of meeting a few members!

#18 ·
There's plenty of places around here. If all else fails, I'm sure I could put you up for a night...

Stuff in Lorain might be hit-or-miss, but the Avon/Avon Lake/Westlake area is a nicer area and you'll be met with cleaner facilities.

#20 ·
I have no thunderbird buddy's around here anymore so it will be a blast

#22 ·
Sounds pretty great, no way I could make it though. Not sure if my car would make it even. :(

Don't mean to derail at all, but are there ever any west coast events? Used to go to the TPS meets in San Jose but they haven't had those for a couple years...

#26 ·
I somehow missed that post last weekend. That sounds like a good enough plan to me. I've often wondered what my bird would do at a track, but never had the will to go down myself.

#29 ·
Club meeting

There is a Upstate NY Thunderbird club meeting this Sunday at the Latham circle diner, just outside Albany at 1:30. Some of the members get together for lunch the second Sunday of the month during the winter

#32 ·
I think it would be awesome to meet up at Lorain, I've talked to the GF and her friend is from Ohio, so she wants a trip up that way anywho, what a great excuse to take my car and sneak in a trip to Lorain :p

#33 ·
Okay, who's still interested?

Time preference? July? August? September?

Cedar Point is also not too far away from Lorain (Maybe 30 minutes), so that could be used an excuse somehow... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.