TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out the best way to go by supercharging my 97 Bird or swapping in a 99 Cobra 32V DOHC. I want to go with what will gain me the most power for the least amout of cash. If anyone knows the total cost of the DOHC swap please let me know. Also if there is anything that can be done myself before said swap please let me know. Thanks, any and all information that can be provided will be appreciated.

Nick in St.Louis

DK 57 "Forever a Cardinal"

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Basically, the cost of the swap depends on what you can get a motor for and how much of the work you are doing yourself and what you are doing for a tranny. It will also make a difference in what you actually get with the motor, if you get the motor only, it will cost a lot more than you are planning because you are going to need some wiring, if you get the harness and the motor, you still have to do a lot of wire splicing but atleast you have everything there to start with so you don't have to buy things that would be in the harness as you go a long. If you stick with the 4R70W I think you problaby need a Mark VIII PCM. If you are going with a manual tranny you will have to buy the manually tranny but the Cobra PCM will work just fine. I am going to say you can't do it for under $1500. And to do it that low would be finding a motor cheap and doing all the work yourself. I would say you should by no means expect to be able to do it that cheaply though. That does include exhaust too in the rock bottom swap price. And once again, if you can do it for that I will be surprised. If you check back for I dunno, the last 10 days, or just search in this section for my posts, you will see where these figures come from.

·
Registered
31 Posts
PCM for Cobra

I am going to have Dennis Reinhart re-flash the computer in my '96 T-Bird so that it will work with the '99 Cobra I am installing. He says he will charge $250 for this service. (See posting for "Project Snake Bite" for pictures of my motor and car)

Project Snake Bite - some assembly required

You cannot use a Mark VIII computer in a T-Bird because of the anti-theft feature that requires a code to be sent from the starter key/ignition switch combo to the computer before it will allow the engine to start.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You can't use a MarK VIII PCM in a T-Bird, huh? Funny, I seem to be able to start my car every morning, no anti theft equipment present.

·
Registered
31 Posts
PCM for Cobra

This is what I was told by a person who actually tried it. Maybe there are different versions of Mark VIII PCM's that have different requirements.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
That could be, I just got a kick out of you telling me that I can't do something that I am doing and works fine. Just trying to prevent misinformation.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
And if you don't believe I am running the Mark PCM, talk to Dan, the guy I just sold the stock Thunderbird PCM to. Not sure what Dan goes by on here though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts