TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we've all heard that you should NOT touch a halogen bulb (like the 9007's we put in the birds) due to oil from the skin etc.

My question is what happens if we do? and if we do, is there a safe way to clean them before installation?

Now the reason

I just found the one Sylvania Silverstar that was in the LE that wasn't destroyed by the Deer. Now, because I am notoriously cheap.. I don't want to buy TWO silverstars when I already have one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but here's my take:

Fingers leave oily fingerprints. Oil collects dirt. Dirt collects moisture. Moisture on hot glass = popped bulb.

I would just wipe the glass down with some rubbing alcohol, let it dry real well and install it like a new one (i.e. not touching the glass).

But just my .02, and hopefully someone else will chime in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts

Fingers leave oily fingerprints. Oil collects dirt. Dirt collects moisture. Moisture on hot glass = popped bulb.

I would just wipe the glass down with some rubbing alcohol, let it dry real well and install it like a new one (i.e. not touching the glass).

Yeah, alcohol should clean it up.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty much what I was thinking... Just thought some extra opinions would be nice.... thanks...

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the past I have fumbled a few, and caught them any way I could. Cleaning them with alcohol is the way to go. I have never had a bulb break, unless I failed to catch it.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts

Totally correct, except for the bulb popped part; the fingerprint residue is slightly less transparent than the glass, and will overheat and soften, which will kill the bulb.

Water on the bulb will definitely kill a bulb, tho, lol. :)

It will also cause the glass to be eaten away if the temperature is hot enough to require quartz glass, like these big shop lights. It looks like white powder coming off the bulb...

Any zero residue cleaner is good; I use brake parts cleaner in a spray can, personally.

:D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

Industrial Latex gloves ftw.

·
Registered
704 Posts
seriously though.. when I got my 95 mark 8 in 99 with 68,000 miles
I put a set of silverstars in it

when it was stolen at 400,000 miles it still had those bulbs in the car
*shruggs*

haha

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Industrial Latex gloves ftw.
Latex gloves leave residue too; It really messes with certain epoxies.

I clean bulbs with brake parts cleaner while holding them with pliers, just before I put new bulbs in. And clean them again If I scrape them across the plastic molding... :)

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Touch NOW YOU DONE IT!
:)

Same thing happens with Xenon flash tubes for photography flashes; only they explode when they go bad... :) They have a lot more pressure inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts