TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 97 tbird with the 4.6L V8. should have no problem pulling the trailer at all, but i just want to know what kind of mileage drop i could expect. the car gets 27mpg highway and the trailer and bike would only be around 8 to 9 hundred pounds. and insight would help me to make the decision on weather or not to buy the hitch or to just take my wifes explorer.

any pics of yours pulling a trailer?

·
Registered
623 Posts
The biggest fuel mileage killer for me was the mesh tailgate on the trailer acting as a big sail. I pulled it off the hinges and was good after that. I don't remember the mileage, but could defiantly feel the difference. The weight shouldn't bother it that much. Thats just like filling the interior with people.

Tailgate was similar to this

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm not sure if many here have added hitches and towed much but I towed a fairly full Uhaul 5x10 enclosed trailer from Texas to NC and a just as full 5x8 back to Texas. My Cougar also did a bit of towing along the east coast but nothing near as heavy as those 2 trips. Sure, these trailers are more aerodynamic but my mileage had only been affected by maybe 4 or 5 mpg and I may have turned OD off on the way to NC but I probably didn't care as much on the way back. 300 miles on 3 quarters of a tank isn't much lower than what I got without a trailer.

Yes, you better install a good tranny cooler like I did and watch your transmission live a much longer life even when already suffering from issues such as torque converter shudder. For the trip to NC for some reason my girlfriend at the time or me had decided to take I-40 for most of the way and that included a jaunt up the mountains. I had to only give the car a break a few times and that was before I changed the radiator the next summer.

I didn't get to take a photo when I had a trailer hooked up but these bikes were a bigger drag than those trailers ever were.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts