TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I have heard this is bad before, but I have also heard of people towing stuff with a Lightning. If it is bad, why?

Earl

·
Registered
484 Posts
The reason it is bad is because you are more likely to stay under boost more while towing. Under boost the engine heats up SUPER fast. If you stay boosted too long it will overheat. My SC got pretty hot sometimes while just blasting up long steep hills, add a trailer to this and it wont last long.
Thats not to say it cant be done. Someone who watches the boost guage and doesnt try to race everywhere can proabably do it with not much problem. I see hitches on Lightnings all the time. I even saw one on a new supercharged harley F150 at the dealership....

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Actually no. It isn't a bad thing as long as the driver is not abusive.

But trailering with a Turbocharger, on the other hand is a no-no.
The egt (exhaust gas temps) can rise to the point of melting things with the turbo (a pyrometer is a must).

A supercharger has very little tangible effect on the exhaust temps under low boost, but the turbo as a result of its exhaust restriction and convective heating can cause high temperature eddy currents to be created in both the exhaust volute and even the intake volute. The gas pedal only partially controls the actions of the turbo (freewheeling device) whereas the supercharger is directly controlled by engine dynamics.

This becomes a closed loop heating system and the steel in the exhaust system doesn’t stand a chance especially if the engine runs lean for even the briefest of moments. You manifolds are glowing at 1500degrees but at 2400degrees will begin to melt. That can happen in less then 30 seconds under load.
I have melted more the a few hand made exhaust manifolds.

This only applies to gas engine, Diesels like both! I have spent too much of my life with playing with these things(according to the wife). I guess I need a moped, where’s the blower!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts