TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
Joined
·
6,476 Posts
[puts on flame suit]
[puts on second flame suit]
I say more power to them. IMO, Toyota is just as American as ford, chrysler, or GM right now (in some cases, moreso). If they can come in and compete, I say let them. Maybe ford will wake up when they get their butts handed to them by a Camry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, more competition is always better, but on the other hand...It's friggin Toyota. Racing a CAMRY. This is what I really don't like about NASCAR. At least the Thunderbird stock cars reflected the RWD platform of the cars, and actually had V8's. These days... the Fusion... makes my head want to explode.:zbash:
 

·
Like Titles Matter
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
They should be competitive. After all, they got to build a clean sheet pushrod V8 race engine since they never had one in a production vehicle. Something the American manufacturers with their production based engines never got. :zbash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kdanner said:
They should be competitive. After all, they got to build a clean sheet pushrod V8 race engine since they never had one in a production vehicle. Something the American manufacturers with their production based engines never got. :zbash:
I'm just curious, what engine do the ford teams use for the basis for their race programs? 5.4L?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
What in the good lords name does toyota not being " american" have to do with Nascar? I didn't know that Stock car racing was just an american sport.
To be quite honest, stock car racing hasn't been using anything close to stock for at least 20 years.

oh well its about time the big three get thier aces kicked racing as well as on the sales floor.

-the big ugly-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
biguglytodd said:
What in the good lords name does toyota not being " american" have to do with Nascar? I didn't know that Stock car racing was just an american sport.
To be quite honest, stock car racing hasn't been using anything close to stock for at least 20 years.

oh well its about time the big three get thier aces kicked racing as well as on the sales floor.

-the big ugly-

NASCAR is the United States racing division, and has always been strictly American vehicles. They had to fight a long battle to get the Tundra into the truck division, and they only succeeded because of the technicality that the Tundra was only built in the US. I'm not saying keep it to the same boring vehicles that they have, but keep it American at least. What's next? Mini? Smart? Civic? Beetle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rally said:
NASCAR is the United States racing division, and has always been strictly American vehicles. They had to fight a long battle to get the Tundra into the truck division, and they only succeeded because of the technicality that the Tundra was only built in the US. I'm not saying keep it to the same boring vehicles that they have, but keep it American at least. What's next? Mini? Smart? Civic? Beetle?
Geeley. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051217/AUTO04/512170312/1364/AUTO04
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
why do we have to keep it american, its not like they are keeping it stock or even close to stock, i dont know of anyone that can purchase a rwd taurus from their local dealership. let alone a tube framed, v8
 

·
Dim Bulb
Joined
·
3,499 Posts
Though I see NASCAR as being all-american, I think this will probably actually be better in the long run. Competition inspires inginuity, which propels engineers and R&D into designing newer, better, and more efficient designs. Look at the PC, the PC is constantly changing because each company has to one up the next to stay in business. Sure some company may come around with a new product in a certain market and go bottom's up in 18 months... but with the rise/fall of that company and its product, it contributes to competition. Maybe Toyota will whoop Ford's a$$, maybe they'll disappear in a few years, but in any event it'll be good in the spirit of competition and advancement
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Thunderwoz said:
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, more competition is always better, but on the other hand...It's friggin Toyota. Racing a CAMRY. This is what I really don't like about NASCAR. At least the Thunderbird stock cars reflected the RWD platform of the cars, and actually had V8's. These days... the Fusion... makes my head want to explode.:zbash:
yeah, but its just a fiberglass shell of a camry, everything else is basically the same **** as every other team, just with different adjustments and drivers. ill laugh my *** off when toyota ingenuity and precision with under a year of expertise starts handing out asswhoopings to teams whove been in nascar from the start. maybe honduh will come in and well have pushrod V8's with VTEC just flying by the others(joke btw :D )
 

·
Automatic Weapon
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
You gotta admit, it would be funny to see a Lexus at Daytona. Perhaps they will bring a bit of class to the normal red-neck crowd? NASCAR has sucked for a long time anyway. They're not stock, too many cry-babies, and all they do is turn left anyway?!

Go ahead Toyota, jump in and stir things up. Maybe NASCAR will be interesting again.
 

·
Whining Intakes Rock
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
Maybe Citroen will join in 2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,758 Posts
I can see it now.... A parking lot full of ricers with their winged, fart cannoned, imports parked next to beer drinking, bbq eating, good ole boy Joe Billy Bob and his Confederate flagged motorhome!!!

Just sit back and videotape the "fireworks" for CNN... :rofl: :zbeer: :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Camry is made in Georgetown Ky (ie. USA).
Fusion is made somewhere in Canada.
Why does it even matter? They all have the same body on the track. Without the paint and stickers you can't tell one apart from the other. The "new" Fusion looks exactly like the Taurus did without graphics. I wish they would go back to making the cars look like they do on the road. I kinda like watching those Austrailian V8 Supercars on Speed channel, they look stock with stock engines ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
NASCAR has been far from stock for a long time. The engine and sheet metal profile is really the only difference. A number of years ago Rusty Wallace made his Fords Dodges by changing the motor and sheet metal profile. That Camry will be larger than the typical Camry and if they are not competitive they will whine and NASCAR will give them some concessions, same if one make is dominate, they will have to run a bigger spoiler or something to slow them down. Toyota has paid their dues in the Truck series, so NASCAR had to throw them a bone for the big buck series. They will take a vehicle the same as the truck series and put on Camry looking sheet metal and they have a Nextel Cup car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
ThomasR91169 said:
yeah, but its just a fiberglass shell of a camry, everything else is basically the same **** as every other team, just with different adjustments and drivers. ill laugh my *** off when toyota ingenuity and precision with under a year of expertise starts handing out asswhoopings to teams whove been in nascar from the start. maybe honduh will come in and well have pushrod V8's with VTEC just flying by the others(joke btw :D )

you watch TV much? when is the last time any of those body panels on the Cup cars were fiberglass? its frickin sheetmetal thomas...and uh FYI, engineering and precision by toyota? the teams build and tweak the motors under the given rules they have, Hendrick doesnt have about 3million in CNC equipment in the engine shop for chvey to tell them what to design.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top