TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not get the screws on the TPS on either of my cars to budge at all. Anyone know any tricks to get them out? I don't have an Impact driver, so I'm kinda at a disadvantage. I can't keep driving my car around with a bad TPS cuz from what I hear its bad for the trans.

BTW...I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have just said that I don't have any power tools at all. Honestly I'm not sure how I get by in life without power tools lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^^tried it...didn't want to go to hard though cuz I didn't want to damage the sensor. It just sucks I was hoping to get this done today and not have to worry about dealing a death blow to my trans every time I drive the thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem is I'm broke and don't have the $$$ to buy or even rent one. God I hate being a broke college kid sometimes.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
cut slots in the heads with a hacksaw, lol. Seriously though I have cut slots in the heads before with a cutoff wheel and then used a flathead screwdriver, but this doesnt always work since it has some type of threadlocker in there and whoa its tight. On many occasions I have cut the heads of the bolts off, slid the TPS off and removed what was left of the bolts with vise grips. Then you can replace them with good-old hex head bolts. Thats about all of my bright ideas though! If you havent totally rounded out the phillips holes, I say that if they have an impact screwdriver...its worth trying. In fact.....you can beg people on the street for $7 to get this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37530

-Rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow...I didn't realize they were that cheap...I'm gonna go grab one...if that doesn't work my dads bringing home an easy out bit from work so they'll be out one way or another.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the impact driver didn't work. So now my dads gonna bring the easy-out bit home from work and I'm gonna have to do this all tonight with a flashlight and hope it works otherwise I have no way to get to class tomorrow. I'll update later

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the easy-out bit didn't work either. So we're gonna take it to his work and just cut the screws out, and I'll have to just buy a new sensor...at least tomorrow is payday. I'll update again tomorrow after seeing if the new TPS fixes my problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya...nothing I did could get them out. I tried an impact driver and an easy-out bit, which is essentially a screw-driver that you twist opposite the direction you want to go and then it taps into the head of the screw and makes a hole for itself. It's supposed to work pretty well, but I could not get it to work at all.

So instead of taking the TPS out of my 95 I'm just going to buy a new one tomorrow and take the car to my dads work where they have all the tools to get these screws out one way or another.

On a seperate note...I'm not sure which brand TPS to get. I'm looking at the Delphi one...are they all basiclly the same or are some better than others?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts