TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have what I think is TQ converter issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!
These are the issue I am having. When driving the shift from 1st to 2nd is fine but then when the trans should shift into 3rd is continues to rev. I can the left off throttle and it will shift into 3rd. But once its in 3rd if i give it any more throttle it will free rev like im in neutral, then down shift to 2nd then back into 3rd.:confused: Once I get up to high way speeds it will hold OD and feel normal. But as im costing the engine will rev up and down as its slowing.
The trans and converter have 130k on them. Fluid was changed about 10k ago and around every 20k before that, always with merV. The fluid is full and looks new and is not brunt at all. I've replaced the MLPS and the TPS thinking that would fix it. But it hasnt.
At this point I'm just trying to figure out do I need to have the trans rebulit or just swap in a new converter? I would hate to do all the work replacing the converter only to find out that I have the same issues.
Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't think that is a TC type problem. If it was a lockup problem, then it would just be not locked, and just have the engine at 150(ish) rpm higher.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your replay! I did a lot of searching before I asked, and one thing that seamed to fit my issues was a bad direct drive band. But if that was the case wouldn't the trans fluid be brown from the clutch material??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats exactly what the tranny in my mark did before it died. I dont know exactly what went wrong but it was just wore out. If you plan to keep that car, seek out the experts on this site and get you a good tc and trans. Get it right the first time. Just my opinion but I am no expert. I think the tranny is just worn out. 130K is a lot of miles on a stock one. I have had converters fail and done my research. I dont think a tc can cause youre issues. I hope its something cheap and easy but I am afraid its not. Hopefully an expert will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
That is not a torque converter issue, that is a transmission failure. Start looking for a replacement or for someone to rebuild it for you.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
130k on a properly maintained transmission even with severe duty isn't much. I am at 220k on my 2000 Grand Marquis and it is still chugging along fine. It is starting to leak transmission fluid out the the bell housing, so the pump likely is starting to leak.

None of the issues you are experiencing seem to fall into the normal issues seen with your year transmission, things that can be solved with a pan drop and accessible item like accumulator piston or pressure valve.

I just spent 200 bucks in parts and fluid to see if I can get mine shifting right (2-3 shift if I let off the gas at WOT at shift it goes to neutral). It is a new to me vehicle with 112k miles. The fill plug was still in the pan, however Carfax shows it had a flush at the dealership at 90,000 miles. The fluid was a little dark, didn't smell burnt, and there was minimal to no fine particles on the magnet, no chunks or shavings, and minimal material coating the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the help. I was hoping not to hear that the trans is probably dead. But I guess that is what I'm looking at. So guess I will be saving up for a rebuilt trans, and waiting till spring to start pulling it all out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts