TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rebuilt (still sealed) Mark VIII converter sitting in my garage. It would be in my car, but I had ordered the wrong flexplate and the shop putting the tranny back in (w/ the new engine) just put in the old one instead of calling me. The car was running and they had been paid before I noticed.

My question is: With my 333 rwtq 5.4, with a blower to be added eventually, should I just put in the Mark VIII converter or go for another one? This engine will be shifted well below 5500 on boost, so a smaller converter isn't necessary for the revs. I know the lower stall means less heat (good) and less impact on the tranny parts (good). Will I lose anything? Will it handle it all? I'm running 3.27 trak-loc now, and won't go above 3.55. I don't need it with the TQ so low.

I'm not going to make up numbers, but I won't stop with less than 350 hp, 450 tq, and desire to go higher. Everything internal is forged.

What do you suggest?

Dan

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Dan; the MK VIII is a world better than the stock converter, but borderline in my opinion with the 5.4's tq and power curve potential... i get an occasional TC "flash" and wonder how long the whole thing will last with my MK VIII TC .... Put the thing in , and enjoy, then custom order a stronger one for later from someon like TCI....Whatever, when you change TC's be sure to have a new front tranny seal put in , causre you may regret not doing so later...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
gecko2424 said:
I've got a rebuilt (still sealed) Mark VIII converter sitting in my garage. It would be in my car, but I had ordered the wrong flexplate and the shop putting the tranny back in (w/ the new engine) just put in the old one instead of calling me. The car was running and they had been paid before I noticed.

My question is: With my 333 rwtq 5.4, with a blower to be added eventually, should I just put in the Mark VIII converter or go for another one? This engine will be shifted well below 5500 on boost, so a smaller converter isn't necessary for the revs. I know the lower stall means less heat (good) and less impact on the tranny parts (good). Will I lose anything? Will it handle it all? I'm running 3.27 trak-loc now, and won't go above 3.55. I don't need it with the TQ so low.

I'm not going to make up numbers, but I won't stop with less than 350 hp, 450 tq, and desire to go higher. Everything internal is forged.

What do you suggest?

Dan
I doubt that markVIII converter will handle your combination well. I doubt any stock converter is going to last long in that application. Especially not a MarkVIII converter that has round mounting lugs. The square lug converters have a better lockup piston. A marauder might work for you well if you keep it good and cool so you don't blow the plastic out of it.
Alan
Read me

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick this one in, because I have it and wait as the aftermarket improves my choices. Thanks.

Any recommendation on best stall speed? I have 300 lbs below 2000 rpms with the converter locked.

Dan

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Dan; dirtyd0g has some interesting comments, and background .... research his posts.... he is too polite to offer to sell you one of his creations; UnLike some whores who no longer are welcome on this site.... but last nite i lost a lot of performance with that MK VIII at the dragstrip, with 40 t0 60 more hp and tq in the operating band than when she ran 13.8....( Best time now 13.9), so the engine has simply overwhelmed the MK VIII T/C, (severe 2nd gear T/C flash) and a new one has been spoken for with dirtyd0g, and will be in the car in another week... I can reasonably expect some improvements , and above all durability with his set up & the only downside is his prices are actually a bit too good to be true in my opinion. The TCI T/C I mentioned turns out to be pricey and not a good choice per my friends in the know around my area, so I was lucky to find him and be able to work a deal ... as you go up in power, the MK VIII will fail ,so enjoy it while you negotiate a new one:D
jake

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone PM'd me an article of his. I sent him a message. Thanks. Too bad about your results. When are you going to swap out a 9# pulley on that???

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Naah! 9# not needed, and Not pratical in my case, just gotta get the T/C right, Mess around a bit, go up in size on the EXhaust a bit and redial the whole shooting works again.... this is a driver... the guy I beat with a late Trans AM kinda slunk away last nite and me with a bad T/C, go figure Ive still got a couple mods to go, to see where I end up... nothing spectacular, but enuff to keep me interested, and I am getting sufficiently old that the fool thing can scare me on occaision. I'll leave the high boost and NOS to you young bucks.
:xpcool: jake

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well it feels like it isnt pulling as hard, but the revs and noise goes up like sum'pin slippin' and then it settles back to doing what it was doing a little farther up the power band as the tork diminishes, unfortunately the tork doesnt diminish so much on my car , so I need a lot more converter than a mere MK VIII stock unit
jake

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm going to have Alan build one for me.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
T/C flash is when the lock up part(clutch) cant hold the engines Tq/HP, so it slips and the hydraulic part is whatrs transferring power, so the T/C allows the engine to rev without as much thrust being generated......

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ok,

Well I have 95 4.6 so what's the general lock up limit for these cars?

(Do you engage the lock up by holding down the brake and gas at the same time?) I can get mine to lock up at about 1600-1700 before I start spinning the tires...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
thunderbird96 said:
which torque converter's fit a 96 4.6 and what other parts do i need ?
The Marauder converter is the best stock unit you can install. But it will require a mark VIII flexplate.
Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts