TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly do you modify the side gears to get a mustang trac-loc to work right?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im still not really understanding what exactly to do. I am a moron :D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Mustangs had C-clips holding the axles in. Our cars have circlips. So the mustangs are flat on the end and the ones for our cars have a bevel so the circlip can expand. You need to create that bevel or the circlip will not be able to expand and not hold properly or even worse if it does go in far enough it won't come back out.
Alan

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have access to a lathe? or a machine shop? otherwise you can buy a side gear kit from Ford.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what ill do then, thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have been maching them for $30 a pair. The sidegear kit is quite a bit more I have priced them between $85 and $150 depending on which part number is used. I believe the ford racing kit is the much cheaper one. Open sidegears do not have splines on them for the frictions therefore they cannot be used.
Alan

·
Registered
680 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize the side gear kits were that much, last set I bought was off Ebay for around $35 - NIB, if I remember correctly.

If you decide to machine them and need some pictures, I can take some shots for ya, but if Alan can do them for you, just ship them to him!

$100-150 for a trac-lock plus 150 for a side gear kit, forget about it. That is practically Tru-track territory, spend a little extra and don't look back :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pics please!

I am interested in this conversion and do have a lathe in the garage. Would you mind posting pics of what is required?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I've had no luck getting pictures that are visible. If you compare the ridge on the non irs sidegear to an irs one you will easily see the difference.
Alan

·
Registered
221 Posts
circlips

I understand all the stuff about the bevel for the clip to expand after being inserted. Do both style side gears also have a corresponding "ramp" at the outside of the side gear where the circlip can be "compressed" when the axle is inserted? Dont think I have ever seen that mentioned-------maybe not a factor!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers for the correct side gears. I work at Ford dealer and Im curious of my price on them. If not dirtydog does the $30. price still stand. I have a good mustang 8.8 ready to snatch the side gears out if so.
Steve Ricketts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I can look for the gear part number I just went and had the guys look it up using a supercoupe as the test dummy. I bought a set and sent it back after I checked it out. FRPP sells them as well and they were considerably cheaper. Yes I can modify them as I stated.
Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts