TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,question from a new member.I,ve got a 91 sport,I've picked up some 355 gears on ebay,I think 373 might be too steep since I do alot of highway driving and gas is getting crazy expensive up in the great white north.I'm just wondering if I've got trac loc or not.I sent away for my build sheet and it says"3.08 Limited Slip Rear Axle ratio",from what I understand a limited slip is the same as trac loc.On my door tag under AX there is a Y code which from what I've read means conventional.Any input would be apreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look at the tag on your diff cover. (EXAMPLE----3L08 75A 4K11) 3L27 means 3.08:1 ratio. The L means Traction Lock. 75A is the ring gear size= 7.5 inch ring gear. 4K11 is the date code. Hope this helps! I'm pretty sure you have the 8.8 though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow so I'll check then,just have to scrape off the undercoating.Enough snow for ya,give it a rest already eh?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Some were in the treads there is a chart with the axle codes , Found out mine was a "E" under axle and its a 3:27 Trak Loc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well had it in for an oil change today and the mechanic wouldn't look for the diff. tag because of all the undercoating,wouldn't let me down in the pit to check myself,insurance reasons.I'll just have to wait until the snow disapears and crawl underneath.When I get hung up in the snow it usually spins the passenger side but I think it occasionally gets the driver side going too,thats just what my ears are telling me,any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If its only spinning 1 tie at anytime its open (especially in snow). By the way, yeah its snowing again right now. So SICK of it. C'mon summer eh?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
pain

Hello

I feel your pain. We received about 20" over the weekend also. I live north of Buffalo.

If you open your pumpkin & see a S in the center then it's A locker.

7.5 or 8.8 is on the outer top on the front of the housing. You need the 8.8 for the 3.55 gears. The 3.55 only came for the 8.8 - 3.45's for 7.5

I have:
3.08-8.8 out
3.27-7.5 out & under 96(2 sets)
3.45-7.5 in a 85 T-bird
3.55-8.8 out (from Bronco)
3.73-7.5 in (race car) spare
3.90-8.8 in (race car)
4.10-7.5 in (race car) spare
I have 2 -- 7.5 t-lok's 1 in 85 T-bird other is out, came with the 4.10's
Note 3.27's & 3.73's come both in 7.5 & 8.8 ring gears.

Paul

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey from the great white north as well.......BOWMANVILLE here
I am not sure how many non super coupes came with TRAC-LOC, so I cant be of help there, but if your only spinning one wheel in the snow, it sounds like its open, IMHO.
Anyway, if it isnt TRAC_LOC, get yourself the pumpkin from a SUPER-COUPE and do a rebuild then install those gears. You can get the kit thru the Super Coupe Club of Ontario thru our President at Fines Ford. Cost is $79+$5 for the friction modifier. I did this swap with my LX, and it was a nice upgrade. Like you, I went with 3:55. The 3:73 seemed a bit steep, but if your gonna race it at all, the taller gears will help. If you wish, come and join us for one of our weekly meets. They are posted on the SCCOA ONTARIO site. Maybe they will get off my back about being the only V8 there.
Hers the links:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16777 -deals thru Fines Ford
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51 -SCCOA ONTARIO CHAPTER

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks for all the help guys,I'm now pretty sure this diff is open.I think I know where I can round up a trac loc pretty cheap,I'll get it rebuilt and stuff it in there with the new gears.Hey tbirdmedic what service do you work for?I got my paramedic papers in NB last year and am going through the equivalency process,doing the transfer jockey thing right now,anywho great lookin' bird.Might try to make it to one of your meets sometime.Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I work for Durham out of Bowmanville. One the last years of my career. Good luck in getting your papers. We have a few East Coasters who work for us. Be nice to see you at a meet. I will PM you my phone number in case you need anything.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Okay, i Looked at the tag in the door jam, and this is what it says:

Under AX, it says 5; under TR, it says L; under SPR, it says ccmm; under R, it says 6

What would my gear ratio be then?

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
From what info you gave, you have an open 3.27 differential, non-sport springs, and premium sound.
So if I go to 3.55s, how much would my gas mileage decrease? I may be buying some from a friend of mine, along with an 8.8 rear, but with the soaring gas prices with no end in sight, I'm wandering if it would be worth it. I do drive it on long trips often, but at the same time, I want to enhance all my other mods and get off the line quicker.

Cant I just have my cake and eat it to? wah, wah, wah, wah.:D j/k

Also, if I am driving 65-70, rpms are around 2,000-2,200, where would they be at the same speed with 3.55's?

·
5,650 Posts
So if I go to 3.55s, how much would my gas mileage decrease? I may be buying some from a friend of mine, along with an 8.8 rear, but with the soaring gas prices with no end in sight, I'm wandering if it would be worth it. I do drive it on long trips often, but at the same time, I want to enhance all my other mods and get off the line quicker.

Cant I just have my cake and eat it to? wah, wah, wah, wah.:D j/k

Also, if I am driving 65-70, rpms are around 2,000-2,200, where would they be at the same speed with 3.55's?
You may notice a very small (read 0.5 - 1) MPG decrease. From an acceleration and driveability standpoint, you won't notice the difference jumping from 3.27's to 3.55's as much as you would if you went to 3.73's or from 3.08's to 3.55's. Your RPMs will be slightly higher at every speed, probably 100 or so RPM.

Shorter gears (higher numerical number) will help your mileage around town since it is easier for the car to accelerate, but on the highway is where you will notice decreases.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts