TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for users of these:

1. What kind of longevity/mileage is everyone getting on their trac-loc between clutch rebuilds?

2. Are the new Powertrax machined for IRS gears? I read that this was once an issue. While I intend to call the manufacturer, I'd put more trust in the word of someone who has already had this installed.

3. Do the axles for the 93-98 Marks, 89-97 8.8 T-Birds and 89-97 Cougars have the same spring-clip design on the ends of the axles? I looked at the app charts from Powertrax and it shows that the no-slip fits all the Coogs and Marks of that time frame, but only 87-89 T-Birds. I wonder if that's brain fade on Richmond's part or if there's another issue that I wasn't able to find via search.

The price of the trac-loc is appealing, but not if it's gonna be another routine maintenance item. These cars already have enough nagging issues as it is.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can't offer much advise to your questions but I can speak of my own experience.

Last year, I bought a Richmond Lock Right from Summit and I hate it!!! I wish I knew the Summit Tech guy that recommended that cuz I'd call him and tell him what I thought. But back to the subject..... It doesn't use the clutches inside but instead has locking gears inside and are supposed to pop away from eachother when going around turns. That thing is **** and is really rough going around corners at low speeds....5-15 mph. It doesn't disengage for crap.
I just bought a stock trac loc out of a 04' Mach 1 and will be swapping that out real quick.

I guess my whole point is, IMO I would stick with a clutch unit

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was gonna put a Lock-Right in mine until my driveline teacher showed me the two sets he had with chipped teeth. I just sent it back to Jeg's and bought a new FRPP trak-lok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts