TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 tbird lx 4.6, and want posi or Trac-loc, what Ford model has it that will swap over, or can I convert mine

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have a 94 tbird lx 4.6, and want posi or Trac-loc, what Ford model has it that will swap over, or can I convert mine
You need one set up for the IRS. The 28 spline IRS TracLoc isn't made anymore from what I recall, so you can look for ones off of older Mustang Cobras (99-04) or you can use a solid rear axle unit and leave out the C clips I think. There's a few threads on it I believe. I'll look.

If you're lucky, you can find a Thunderbird/Cougar that had it from factory, usually the SC's had them, but I think it was optional as long as you don't have ABS/Traction control on the later models.

I knew I saw this recently in another thread. Here's the details on how to convert one. http://forums.tccoa.com/960-differentials/119374-converting-non-irs-tl-irs-tl.html

And here's one of our members selling one to be converted...
http://forums.tccoa.com/20-parts-sale/171753-28-spline-used-trak-lok.html

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks for the plug Woodman!

Al

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yes, that is an option. But it is not the Ford factory part (M4204F288) like they are making it out to be, it is aftermarket.

Al

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Also as an FYI the 03-04 Cobra's where 31 spline so unless you are in the mood to change your axles, they are a no go.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Why I am posting this when I have one for sale, I have no idea. Mine is much cheaper though it technically is for a solid axle.

Just trying to help a fellow MN-12 owner as these are impossible to find. $60 less than what I paid for one earlier in the year. Allegedly new old stock, but do your homework.

Ford 8 8" Trac Loc 28 Spline NTO Excellent Condition M 4204 F288 | eBay

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts