1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I dont know but I wanna know .

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Well there are many variables. You just want a trac-lok rear you might find a good used 3.27 unit for around $350 plus shipping. Generally to have one built you have to consider the cost of the parts and labor.
If you put $200 into rebuild parts and need a core case which will generally cost $75 plus a good used Traction lock could cost another $125 easily. Then you need gears which are around $175 and the labor to build it which will vary. I generally charge $250 if that gives you an idea. Then you need to decide if you want an aluminum case which could cost you about $75 more.
Alan

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
unless you are experienced at installing gears, i would seriously consider having a shop do the rear end work. A singing diff would suck.

·
Registered
871 Posts
$650 for a new FRPP off ebay about a year ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Will one from a mustang 8.8 work? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Steve

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
281cammer said:
Will one from a mustang 8.8 work? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Steve

With the proper side gears.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can use an 8.8 pumpkin from any MN12 T-Bird, Cougar, or MK VIII. There are plenty around. I'm surprised no one here has offerred you one yet. If you're going to swap gears, have a shop do it. If you're going to keep the stock 3.08s or 3.27s in the pumpkin you find, you could probably just freshen up the clutches and plop it in. I have a few IRS traction lok units and complete pumpkins with 3.27s, if you're interested. I'm in Southern California, so shipping could be expensive.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
thunderchikken said:
I live in a hicktown in canada. I could go to the guy who charged 2500 for a taurus tranny or to the guy who charged 2700 for an exploder tranny.

thats not my fault. The best way to get an honest answer is to ask whom ever is doing the work directly. Otherwise is almost a shot in the dark. If we tell you a price and you end up paying more, dont complain to us.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I posted in the wanted section and got a 3.27 TL unit, with about 20k on it, from a fellow member for $150. He was upgrading to higher gears and just wanted it to go to a nice home. So, the deals are out there, you just gotta be patient and make it known that you are looking.

Rob

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
thunderchikken said:
I live in a hicktown in canada. I could go to the guy who charged 2500 for a taurus tranny or to the guy who charged 2700 for an exploder tranny.
I see, so you know it's going to be expensive because you haven't called and asked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts