TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in getting a 8.8 trac-lock posi for my 93 cougar,so i went on e-bay to check some out.well theres tons of them from mustangs and f-150s,are all 8.8 posi units interchangeable between the irs pumpkins and the full housing rears like on mustangs and f-150s or do i have to find one from a thunderbird or cougar.a list of posi units that a interchageable for irs cars from 89 to 97 from full housing cars would be great.thanks

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
They are different because we have a groove machined to accept the CV joint clips

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you can use f150's, and live axle ones from mustangs but you need to switch the side gears

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not so fast,, the Explorer and F-150 units used the larger 31spline axles,, they also had larger carriers (identufied by a larger carrier pin) the Thunderbird side gears will not interchange into those housings.

A mustang unit is about the best way to go,, you'll spend 40-50$ on the Clutch rebuild pack and another $70-80 on the side gear kit.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ill check pn 's tommarow, but i ws pretty sure you could use an f150 case in a car

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can trust me on that,, I learned the hard way. The actuall unit will fit into the IRS rearend but you'll be forced to run 31 spline axles.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yea your right, center pins are different ,so any car trac lock will work though

·
Registered
437 Posts
SplitPortBird said:
The actuall unit will fit into the IRS rearend but you'll be forced to run 31 spline axles.
You're using 31 spline axles in an IRS diff? Did you have any trouble getting the axle through the spindle? Everything I've read says that the 31 spline axle won't fit through the hole in the spindle.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
68COUGAR said:
You're using 31 spline axles in an IRS diff? Did you have any trouble getting the axle through the spindle? Everything I've read says that the 31 spline axle won't fit through the hole in the spindle.

68COUGAR
The 31 spline half-shaft slides into the IRS (or more accurately, the side gears) and has noting to do with the spindle. :2huh:

Does anyone even make a 31 spline half-shaft for the MN12? Raxles maybe? Just wondering. :thumbsup:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Raxles definately can make a set as he has been doing quite a few for the factory five cobra crowd. I think he gets around $500 for them though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts