TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the bird apparently has 2.73 gears... at least thats what i thought I read. the tab is on the top bolt and well it's a bugger to read.

but more importantly... do i have a trac loc in it or no.

I've done a small cooker and left 2 tire patches out back.
going around corners only 1 tire spins however.
I'm stumped

anyone able to help or am I just going to have to bust off the cover and have a looksey?

and if the answer is no... whats needed to add to the pumpkin to get it to trac lok status?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok so the bird apparently has 2.73 gears... at least thats what i thought I read. the tab is on the top bolt and well it's a bugger to read.

I've done a small cooker and left 2 tire patches out back.
going around corners only 1 tire spins however.
I'm stumped

anyone able to help or am I just going to have to bust off the cover and have a looksey?

and if the answer is no... whats needed to add to the pumpkin to get it to trac lok status?
the tag will have (8.8 L 2.73) if it is a trac loc. L means limited slip.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
96 cars had 2.73s?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn looks like I'm going to have to open it up... ah well probably needs a fluid change anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Jack it up in the rear so both tires are off the ground. Spin one tire forward - the other side tire will spin.

If the other tire spins the opposite direction (reverse), it's an open differential.
If the other tire spins the same direction (forward), it's a trac-lok.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Jack it up in the rear so both tires are off the ground. Spin one tire forward - the other side tire will spin.

If the other tire spins the opposite direction (reverse), it's an open differential.
If the other tire spins the same direction (forward), it's a trac-lok.
I have a traklok and when I did this I believe it only applied when the car was in drive.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
OP, check your door sticker and then look in the tech articles under gears. The codes are clearly listed.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have a traklok and when I did this I believe it only applied when the car was in drive.
Well, obviously it isn't gonna work in Park *doh* :eek:

Any other gear should be fine...

OP, check your door sticker and then look in the tech articles under gears. The codes are clearly listed.
As long as nothing has been changed, and around here - most have!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well, obviously it isn't gonna work in Park *doh* :eek:

Any other gear should be fine...

As long as nothing has been changed, and around here - most have!
I meant to not put in neutral. Ive seen people do that.
Nothing changed. Lol and key word is "most"

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I meant to not put in neutral. Ive seen people do that.
Nothing changed. Lol and key word is "most"
If the car isn't in Park, it doesn't matter what gear it's in (when it's not running). The transmission will not engage or keep the driveshaft from turning; Neutral is fine. On a side note, you shouldn't tow a car with an automatic transmission more than 100 miles they say (although I've done it will no adverse results).

·
Registered
187 Posts

I tried to tell you on VM that you probably had an open diff, but other guys shot that down, so I bowed out.
I also said that there is a guy in Edmonton who will sell you a functioning 3.27 traclok complete pumpkin for 150.00 out of a SuperCoupe. Search him out in parts for sale on SCCOWC.

Fastest easiest way to get traclok in my opinion. If you ship it on the Greyhound, it really isn't that far from you. So I would be all over it if I was you.

also, do the Jmod, don't listen to those who don't have thundebirds when they tell you to go transNo.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sorry for the thread revival... But...

I have a 95 LX with 3.08 gears and an open diff according to the sticker on the door.

Sounds about right, when I took it to the track, brake standing for the burnout - one tire fire, unless I was in the wet box with both tires spinning.

Today I got done doing an EGR/TB clean on it, and wanted to test it out since I'm going on a big trip tomorrow with her.

I was on a back road (not many houses let alone cars), putting the car through it's paces. Half throttle launches, WOT launches, RPM changes etc.

During the 2 WOT launches I spun both tires from a dead stop (yes I'm impressed, it's basically a bone stock bird :D) for about 10 ft or so then I took off.

My question is if I have an open diff, why can I get both tires to spin sometimes, or does this mean that I have a problem with a Trac loc that someone might have installed before I got the car?

Thanks and sorry bout the newb question, just a bit cornfused :confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
Whether one tire spins or both spins depends on the amount of traction under each tire. I once left two tire marks on a launch in the Cougar which has an open 3.27. But on the same note, it'll spin one tire if I accelerate through turns too fast.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
when my car had nitrous, and an open 3.08, it would spin both on the hit....on lurch the car sideways pretty good!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the input, figured as much. But that's why we have forums to ask questions and get answers from ppl more knowlegdable than me hehe.

Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 25 Posts