TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is wearing a helmet required at 13.99 or lower or 13.49 and lower? And also, do you have to wear a fire jacket or fire suit if running forced induction on a stock non forced induction car? If so, what SFI rating?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Every track I've been to required a helment for ETs below 14.
That's what I thought, but someone I know said he thought it was 13.49. Now I just need to know the firesuit answer! haha. I really only wanted to know because I want to make sure to bring a helmet if I race my subaru. OH and what series helmet is required now? I had a snell 95 and I know that's no good good anymore. So is it any SA05 type helmet +?

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
It all depends on the track. Most tracks "require" a helmet, however enforcement of this requirement is another story ...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Any non factory n2o, supercharger, or turbo requires a single layer fire jacket . I'm fairly sure a snell 2000 is still legal this year. For next year you'll need at least a snell2005. I'll be picking up a new helmet in the spring, snell2010 will be out sometime this winter.

HELMET
For all 10.00 to 13.99 closed-bodied cars, either an open-face or a
full-face Snell M2000, M2005, M2010, K2005, SA2000, SA2005,
SFI 31.1A, 31.1/2005, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.1/2005, or 41.2A helmet
with or without a shield is mandatory.

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING (March1, 2010)
Full-length pants; short- or long-sleeved shirt; closed shoes; and
socks. No shorts. No tank tops. No open-toe or open-heel shoes or
sandals. Synthetic clothing not recommended.

10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59); all E.T. non-OEM supercharged,
non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or
.024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59); all E.T. supercharged,
turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or
.024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and
gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40) to 11.49 (*7.35); all E.T. naturally aspirated, OEM
supercharged, or OEM turbocharged with a full OEM or .024-
inch steel firewall:Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
That's what I thought, but someone I know said he thought it was 13.49. Now I just need to know the firesuit answer! haha. I really only wanted to know because I want to make sure to bring a helmet if I race my subaru. OH and what series helmet is required now? I had a snell 95 and I know that's no good good anymore. So is it any SA05 type helmet +?
Same here my old helmet is a m95 . Guess time to upgrade

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any non factory n2o, supercharger, or turbo requires a single layer fire jacket and pants. I'm fairly sure a snell 2000 is still legal this year. For next year you'll need at least a snell2005. I'll be picking up a new helmet in the spring, snell2010 will be out sometime this winter.
Thanks for the wealth of info. I'm glad its only single layer. I can get by with only spending $110 for a suit then.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Any non factory n2o, supercharger, or turbo requires a single layer fire jacket and pants.
Never knew that.

I know I've seen plenty non factory nitrous or boosted cars at the track without a fire jacket. I always presumed it was an ET based rule.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Never knew that.

I know I've seen plenty non factory nitrous or boosted cars at the track without a fire jacket. I always presumed it was an ET based rule.
It just shows how tracks don't follow nhra safety rules. Nhra made the jacket rule like three years ago

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
I dont think the track me and driller go to is a NHRA track. I think it's IHRA.
Most of the tracks Driller goes to are NHRA tracks and do require the proper safety equipment meaning required helmet at 13.99 or quicker. Unless Pittsburgh is different. Cecil, Mason Dixon and those are all NHRA tracks.

KD posted the links to requirements for NHRA on his post.

IHRA is probably different (Used to be) but honestly I'm not sure now.

All the tracks I've run in the past couple years have been NHRA certified.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pittsburgh one is IHRA. It really doesn't matter anymore since I ended up getting a helmet. Tbird wont be racing until august anyway so I have time to figure it out with the IHRA rules. Oh and BTW, a 1.57 60' time is sickening.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Lol!!!!

Zach,

Driller (JP) runs at Pittsburgh sometimes with the Lincoln. I didn't actually know it was IHRA.

Most anyplace else he runs normally is NHRA. That NA Lincoln of his runs well. Likely to hit the 12's this fall.

Mine hasn't been doing any 1.57 60's since 2008. Been on jackstands since I broke/bent two separate valves.

If you are running a power adder car, just go ahead and get the required Safety Equipment for NHRA and be done with it. That way you'll have no issues wherever you go.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
i based my post from what Brett Kepner posted on the TBU in oct of 09....
I just googled for part of your quote and yeah, I found where he said that. Looks like Mr Dirt missed it this time, I'll have to rib him about it next time I see him.

It seemed pretty outrageous to require pants when most cars can run down to 10 flat without them. Wasn't long ago, I think 2 years maybe, that even though ET drivers had to wear jackets, guys in stock and super stock didn't. So, glad it turned out that pants are not required.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I just googled for part of your quote and yeah, I found where he said that. Looks like Mr Dirt missed it this time, I'll have to rib him about it next time I see him.

It seemed pretty outrageous to require pants when most cars can run down to 10 flat without them. Wasn't long ago, I think 2 years maybe, that even though ET drivers had to wear jackets, guys in stock and super stock didn't. So, glad it turned out that pants are not required.
perhaps it was something that was talked about but never made it to the written rules. i dont know. ive had pants for a few years and wear them. you never know what happens. hell i have everything but shoes, and wear them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts