TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the Jmod to a customers mark soon. I have mentioned the possibility of it setting off the traction control. I am curious if there is any easy way to electrically trick the info center that the tc has been turned off? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
It just becomes second nature to turn it off as soon as you start the car. Hit "Vehicle settings" once, then the reset button. It needs to be disabled every time you start the car, so unless you were going to create a module that would send the right signals to the ABS module every time the car gets started, I don't see any easy way to disable the traction control permanently without also taking out the ABS with it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
No way that I know of to disable the TC in the tune, or by any simple wiring fix.

The J-Mod won't set it off either.

Just as Mike states, you get used to hitting the reset button.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Is it the same/similar to the T-Bird's TC? The above posts make me think my mod wouldn't work but passing it on anyways.:)

You can solder some wire to bridge the connection(Right term??) at the switch:

I'm not very good at soldering so it didn't work too well for me so I went to the harness and connected the two wires(gray and purple w/ pink stripe) for the TC:

Don't know if the circuit board or wire colors are the same so do it by trial and error until the TC off light stays on.:) Then pull the bulb out.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
DLF, what about jumping the circuit on the message center like you mentioned on LVC. I'm not saying I have big enough [email protected] to try it, but maybe we can convince somebody to...:diablo:

and while we're on the topic of this can anybody tell me if unplugging the abs pump motor, will kill the speedometer and odometer. or if it will just light up the dash like a Christmas tree.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
If you want to disable ABS, why not just yank the fuse?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DLF, what about jumping the circuit on the message center like you mentioned on LVC. I'm not saying I have big enough [email protected] to try it, but maybe we can convince somebody to...:diablo:

and while we're on the topic of this can anybody tell me if unplugging the abs pump motor, will kill the speedometer and odometer. or if it will just light up the dash like a Christmas tree.
It will make the odometer go blank for sure. My 97 LSC had no odometer when I bought it, turned out it had lots of corrosion in the ABS module connection. A new module without rotted pins, 2 new connector pins and some careful cleaning and it was all working again. Come to think of it, my ABS and trac light were always on and I could do one tire burnouts :)

sctbird1994, good idea on inducing a ABS code to disable the system :) Are there any side effects to this besides no ABS and the warning lights being on?

EDIT: got an email from Don Lasota earlier about the tune. He was able to turn off a parameter or something in the mark computer for traction control, but he cant be sure that it will take care of it since it's a Lincoln. We are going to keep our fingers crossed though! It sucks having to hit those buttons just to turn it off everytime you hop in the car!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
sctbird1994, good idea on inducing a ABS code to disable the system :) Are there any side effects to this besides no ABS and the warning lights being on?
Just the ABS light on, and the Traction control is always Off, this is on a 1994 SC though but the traction control relies on the ABS.

My only reason is because I put these 17x9" Cobra replica wheels on that rubbed on the spindles, so I put some early style spindles on for clearance and they didnt come with ABS sensors .. eventually I plan on fixing the problem by installing sensors.

·
Registered
570 Posts
EDIT: got an email from Don Lasota earlier about the tune. He was able to turn off a parameter or something in the mark computer for traction control, but he cant be sure that it will take care of it since it's a Lincoln. We are going to keep our fingers crossed though! It sucks having to hit those buttons just to turn it off everytime you hop in the car!
While there is a parameter in the SCT db for the TC, I've tried it, and it hasn't had any effect on the Mark VIII's that I've tuned. Maybe you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I presume we will have the same luck, lol. Luckily the guy understands its something hes going to have to turn off as needed.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
If one of the front abs sensors "fails" is there any wire that can be snipped to disable the traction control message, from displaying on the message center? Sorry I don't have an evtm yet, so I've gotta ask stupid questions.

Also, sort of related, if I have the abs system "repaired" when it comes time for safety/emissions will there be a code for the abs warning lamp being "burnt out"
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had Don due some tunes for my 98 LSC and my main want was traction control off we couldnt get it.The tunes rock but Don couldnt get the traction control off.I ordered from DALLAS Mustang a traction control controller they sell for the mustang.I basically set the car to the last settings before the key was turned off.I am wiring it in tomorrow.They believe its going to work.I have to call them tomorrow and there tech is going to go through the wiring.The module is $15 on EBAY.They have it listed still

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
If one of the front abs sensors "fails" is there any wire that can be snipped to disable the traction control message, from displaying on the message center? Sorry I don't have an evtm yet, so I've gotta ask stupid questions.

Also, sort of related, if I have the abs system "repaired" when it comes time for safety/emissions will there be a code for the abs warning lamp being "burnt out"
Thanks.
Why not remove the lamp from behind the "Traction Control" message? That would keep it from displaying.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
It isn't a lamp. It is an LED display message center that is also used for other things like the clock, compass, fuel mileage monitor, trip odometer, driver settings, etc.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Right, kinda planning on pulling the "abs" bulb and the "traction off" bulb, but I still need to hit reset to clear the "check traction control" message every time I get in the car.

08fxdb96 please let us know how you make out with that. Sounds like something I might want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No problem!Fat tires in rear set off traction control the slight hieght difference makes the computer think your spinning out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts