TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right place to ask this question.

96 cougar didn't come with traction control, but I know it was an option at the time. Is there a way to add traction control to my cougar? What is all involved?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,365 Posts
Traction control is a function of ABS. So unless you have ABS, then you're more or less out of luck unless you feel the work to add it is worth it. If you already have ABS but no traction control then I'm not sure what would be involved.

You can, however, add a traction-lok limited slip differential.

·
Super Moderator
17,157 Posts
If you have ABS all you might need would be a ABS computer from a traction assist car and the VMM module with the button(or the 97 console button). It's otherwise all prewired in the dash and engine compartment harnesses. I'm not certain however that the HCU is different or not as it isn't specified one way or the other in my manuals. There's a pair of additional solenoids for traction assist but it's possible they are present but unused on non-traction assist ABS HCUs.

But it's really not that effective of a system. It's off at any speed above 30, it doesn't cut engine power, thus it barely helps from a stop in the rain and doesn't help at all in snow. If you have traction lock or ever plan to it becomes even more useless.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have ABS. Was only wanting traction control because the back tires tend to spin too easily on wet roads. I figured it might help. Tires only have 8-9,000 miles on them. I live in San Antonio so I rarely have to worry about snow, Just greasy ass wet roads from rain after months of drought.

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
Zigzag - Come up here to Louisiana, we've got a few MN12s with traklok diffs and (typically) 3.27 gears, whole pumpkins for $45 or so.

www.uautopullitautoparts.com is one local chain, you can check the pre-tax pre-DEQ prices there (it ends up about $55 or so for that $45 diff ... )

RwP

·
Registered
38 Posts
What type of tires are you using? Since you don't have to worry about snow you can really focus your tires for maximum traction in wet conditions. With 9000 miles your tires should still be going strong, so the tire design must not be optimal for your use. Even with traction control if your tires are poor you will see limited gains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts