TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my door sticker says that I have a 3.08 open rear differential. But when I power brake and hold it for a little and let off the brake, both tires are spinning the whole time. Is there a way to look and see if someone put in a traction-lock differential?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,361 Posts
well, that happens with mine too, in even road surfaces both tires will usually spin

to tell if you have it, there is a metal tag on the differential(if its still there) that will say 3 L 08, if you dont have a tag or have it without that code but still suspect a trac-lock conversion, you can just light up the tires all day and check your marks:D , if they are even and have no major differences in the marks you most likely have it;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
There is a way to check for sure. Chock the front tires, put it in neutral, jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground. Turn the wheel and watch the one on the other side, if it spins the same way as the one you're turning you have trac-lok. If it spins the opposite way of the one you're turning you have an open rear end.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
XR7-4.6 said:
edit: also, if the case is aluminum you probably have it considering that it would be from a mark VIII or cobra which have 3.27 traction-lock stock
All Mark VIIIs have the aluminum housing for sure but none came with traction-lock differentials as far as I know. Base models had 3.08s and LSCs came with 3.27s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts