TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, as if my week since 11/21 hasn't sucked enough with 3x the work completed in November of last year dumped into my lap without an assistant... (5x the total for the entire month so far)

Yesterday I try to get home. Usually takes me 25-30 minutes. Mostly interstate.

Well I get through the usual traffic jam coming out of the area I work in and am minding my own business in the fast lane doing 80 when suddenly all 5 lanes of eastbound traffic stops. I sit 30 minutes under an overpass until a cop drives along the right shoulder. Up until this point the far right lane is flying by with the ocassional movement as people traverse stopped traffic to get into that lane. Me being 5 lanes away has no chance.

As I make it into the third lane I notice that the cop and another one are now directing traffic and letting one lane go at a time. I get up there to where they are and we have one cop stopped at an angle across 3 lanes of traffic, with those little flares set up. They direct everyone off of the interstate and onto a highway which is right in the middle of a busy part of the city. Mind you this is now 7pm it's quite dark and there are no lights at all down the east bound interstate.

By the time I get onto that highway which is usually the halfway point it has been an hour and 15 minutes since I left work. I manage to hit the lights leading to the back roads to be the first in line at each one, easily leaving everyone behind. Hit the back road and aside from a Lexus doing 35 in a 45 I was set. Once I get to a passing zone on this two lane country road I pull over and nail it. Hit the 1-2 squall just as my rear tires are at his passenger door, making him slam on the brakes. I just keep going. Check the news, nothing, check the "On time traffic" nothing, wait for the evening news, nothing. Mornings paper? Nothing. Closing an interstate and causing people to be an hour late isn't news?

Now today I go to fit the triple gauge pod for 94-97s (see thread in group purchases). I've never been there, I severely dislike the city it's in so I don't know much about it. I print off a map of how to get there from work. 25 minutes, not bad, can get there test fit it and get back within my lunch hour. Don't bother printing off a return map, I mean you just follow the same directions back right? Wrong. One way streets and no signs directing you back to the highway. I finally get back to work an hour and a half after I left.

Then shortly before I leave I find out that the majority of the work dumped on me last week shouldn't have been.

So I go home. Or try to anyway.

Make it further this time, to about the 2/3 mark before.. yep.. you guessed it, another completely stopped interstate. Takes me ten minutes to get out of the fast lane (behind this SWEET Nova SS with a liscense plate that read BADBO-TIE) and the 1/4 mile to the exit and head for the good ol' back road. Well tonight I was not the only one who had that idea unfortunately and there was a nice string of cars stopped at the stop sign. One guy about 4 cars up in a Saturn decides he doesn't want to wait any longer and shoots across the 2 lane road into someone's driveway, not paying a lick of attention what was coming.

So what was coming you ask? Well I'll tell you. A Fox body Stang who does not even attempt to slow down and slams into the right rear corner of the Saturn. Cracks the Stangs radiator and knocks the passenger side headlight clean off the car. This is happening maybe 40 feet in front of me. The Stang pulls over next to me with the lovely smell of boiling antifreeze as it hits hot engine parts. The saturn backs out of the driveway and pulls in behind him. Both off on the shoulder of the road. A cop is about 10 cars up and spends quite a while trying to get that Crown Vic turned around. Turns his lights on just as the 20 something blind kid in the stang and the 30 something blind guy in the Saturn get out and start huffing their shoulders at each other. Oh fun, a fist fight right there next to my hood... Well they see the cop and the Saturn guy walks over and picks up the Stangs headlight and lobs it at the Stang. This makes that wonderful siren start blaring and the cop pulls in behind them, but oh no, not on the shoulder, but halfway on the road so now this two lane road is a 1 lane road.

Well I finally make it to the stop sign and make my left turn, power sliding the rear around into the proper lane and then nailing it... I get to where the back road crosses back over the interstate and it's still stop and go, no indication of why. Again, nothing on the news or the traffic reports...

Ok, I'm done ranting now. :tongue:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
dude you wouldnt last one minute in chicago traffic, 20 min ride into the city, 1 1/2 hr ride out of the city for me for school. and for work, ha not even going close to the city it takes me 20-25 min to get to work in the afternoon after normal morning rush, to get home HA, another hour and half ride. every day. but i hear ya, cops are dumb when it comes to accident scenes. and closing roads there a joke, last weekend they closed LakeShore Drive 8 lane highway and the stupid *** cop was just sitting in his friggin car not directing traffic like hes suppose to just sitting in the damn car.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I lasted a week in Chicago traffic. ;)

It's fine as long as it is expected or has some reason behind it.

Two days in a row of unplanned double and triple length drive times is annoying.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
annoying traffic jams in vermont are:

waiting for a minivan doing 70mph to pass a big rig doing 65mph.
lots of people not using crosswalks, causing lots of stop and go (remember I drive a 5-speed now)
some little old lady in her 1978 Crown Vic doing 5mph under the spped limit on my favorite winding mountain road (I usually do twice the limit).

At least shads doesn't have to deal with winter....and keith gets the best pizza in the world.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rejoice!

relax and watch the Fightin' Irish beat some hippie a$$ saturday evening! damn i have so much money on this one, good way to pay off some bills.
michael

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: Rejoice!

PowderBoyDTC said:
relax and watch the Fightin' Irish beat some hippie a$$ saturday evening! damn i have so much money on this one, good way to pay off some bills.
michael
or a bad to not pay the next 6 months worth -greg

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, forgot to add how today started.

Leave early to get gas. Takes them forever to start the pump and then it's like it's coming through a coffee stirrer it's taking so long. Realized I left the 89-93 gauge pod at the house, so go back and get it and head for work. CD is skipping like crazy so I flip the face down and hit eject so I can clean it. CD won't come out. Hit the button a few more times and it finally does, the label is all bubbled and won't flatten out.

Radio sucks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
At least you HAVE the radio. My cd player isn't working, period. And i cant find my stock tape deck. Gee i hope i saved it... please please please please
but yes, radio does suck.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, we get people like that too.. even worse is as soon as the interstate goes to two lanes either direction they end the "no trucks left lane" restriction, always one semi pulls out and does 66 & 1/2 to pass one doing 65. Or when they change lanes at a stoplight on the highway as if they are going to out accelerate the other semi. Meanwhile all the cars have to poke through the intersection.

GreenBird said:
At least shads doesn't have to deal with winter....and keith gets the best pizza in the world.
We get some winter, had two days of snow last year.

And hellz yeah about the pizza, Obbies rocks!

I've had to adapt my homeade (crust, 24hr sauce, hand grated cheese) style to deep dish (though I add more cheese to the top and stick it back in till it's done) since coming back.

And I was glad to see NCSU hand Florida State their only conference loss too. Only caused a few riots. :tongue:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I love this post...

Man Shadow when it rains it pours I swear! Thank God I have awsome luck and I seem to avoid traffic Jams in Roanoke (not like its a major city tho).

The only thing I can say that sucks is Virginia Drivers! I can count on almost getting hit on my daily drive to College. Then I stomp it pull up next to them and give them a look like, "Jesus you suck." Then sometimes if they really piss me off I'll make a gun with my hand stick it in my mouth and pull the trigger (my thumb). That one seems to work great when trying to get a point acrossed!

AS for your radio...! OMG mine has random speakers due to a loose wire which I can't find, and this is 10X worse than no radio at all. Nothing like Jammin it with all speaker than have all 4 cut off and then 2 cut on ect... DRIVES ME NUTS.

Man that felt good to get off my chest.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Re: I love this post...

Tim Groth said:
Man Shadow when it rains it pours I swear! Thank God I have awsome luck and I .....The only thing I can say that sucks is Virginia Drivers!....
-Tim

You think the Roanoke drivers are bad?? Man you need to take a little trip down to Norfolk/Va Beach. An hour around there and you'll *love* the mountains. ;)

I recall a day when there was an Amtrak derailment - closed every major road on the Peninsula including I64. Talk about unplanned delays getting home from work.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was joking about the traffic in Roanoke, but I miss the majority of it too so that helps out. I'm thankful my first class is at 9am and I go home around 1 everyday so I miss most of the traffic. It's still pretty conjested now and then though, and then there's the occassional moron who wrecks and causes major backups ect.

As for the mountains, I hardly even notice them now, it's more of one of them out of state things. I remember when I lived in Michiagan and my family went to Hilton Head we thought they were so pretty then and now we could careless. I guess it would be like if I went to FL I would be so amazed by the palm trees...

-Tim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Though I can't say I know traffic everywhere, getting out of D.C. takes about all the patience I have. From where I'm living right now it's about 15 miles to 95 north, and even leaving before 4pm that little bit has taken me over an hour and a half.

Then again, driving home to PA from D.C. last night there was a 10+ mile backup on 95 south just before Delaware due to an accident. They were actually detouring people off 95...god knows where.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Don't they give medals for surviving in DC traffic for more than a month? Kinda like Purple Hearts.... Scariest place there is to drive in imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts