TCCoA Forums banner

Trailer Hitch / Storage Tray

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeB 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but it seemed like the best fit.

I'm thinking about adding a trailer hitch / storage tray combination off the back of my car to carry drag radials and skinnies without completely filling the interior. Doesn't need to be particularly heavy duty because the most weight I would put on it would be about 200 lbs plus the tray itself. Looking under the car, I don't see much structure to attach to, so my first concern is whether a hitch can be installed and used without damage to the unibody.

The only MN12 I remember seeing with such a setup was KevinM's car which was a '96 with a body kit. My '97 is lowered such that there is only 11.5" (static) between the bottom of the rear fascia and the ground. So, my next concern is: is that enough to take suspension travel, leave some clearance to the fascia, and not ground the trailer hitch?

My final concern is about the impact of overhung rear weight on the handling of the car. Not limit handling, just around town and highway operation.

Anybody have good or bad experiences to learn from? Any big do's or don't's? Brands of equipment to seek out or avoid? Would appreciate any input!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a uhaul hitch on my 96 cougar. The ball mount just touches the bottom of the stock bumper cover.
The hitch attaches to the two subframe parts that are inboard of the mufflers.

Rick

#3 ·
After posting this yesterday, I searched and found some posts on here which seemed to indicate that the U-Haul hitch is no longer available. Checked into that more today, and they currently advertise two versions for the MN12: a “heavy duty” version and the discontinued but not yet unavailable “sport frame” version (both are Class II). I purchased a “sport frame” and will have it installed in early September. I also found a storage tray which is big enough for my tires and mounts to a Class II receiver. Most of the storage tray / basket accessories I found online are set up for the larger Class III receiver, which would have required an adapter. Hoping to have the setup in place and a trial run completed before heading off to the Midwest Bash!

#4 ·
IDK about putting a hitch on; when I was bending Lazarus back from the wreck, it amazed me how easy that whole section is to bend.

I'd measure the bumper resting height off the ground, and compare it when you get home; there might be changes.

#5 ·
I think it will be OK with the limited weight I plan to carry. The hitch is designed to spread the load over the rear body rails as well as the bumper beam. That said, I would be hesitant to tow a 3500 pound trailer, which the hitch is rated to do.

#6 ·
I just wish I could find a 2" receiver for my Cougar; Pam (the wife) looks like she may be in a scooter the rest of her life now, and all the scooter carriers I find require a 2" receiver.

Not a prob on the Dakota; but dang it, the Cougar is HER car!

(Not that I mind driving it, and with her in a scooter, I'll BE driving it ... )

RwP

#7 ·
You can get an adapter from 1.25" to 2.0" from U-Haul. That should allow you to fit a scooter carrier, as long as it isn't over 350 lbs with the scooter (maximum tongue load on the 1.25" receiver).

#8 ·
That's good.

So as I'm rebuilding Ruby Jean (the Cougar), I'll include that on my "Schtuff to Buy" list.

RwP

#9 ·
I've got one of the U-Haul hitches on my 96...mostly to protect my bumper when people rear end me but also for a convenience if I should need to tow anything. It is true some of the hitches are good for 3500 lbs or something like that but I believe the car is only designed to tow 2000 lbs...including the weight of the trailer. I wouldn't exceed that.

#10 ·
I put the hitch on my cat to have a trailer mover. I have towed the fast cat to the now closed 1/8 mile track.
It was a 20 mile tow without any issues. I was just trying to be cute. Now the hitch is a bicycle carrier receiver.

#11 ·
I heard from my local U-Haul that they could not get the "sport frame" hitch receiver, but they have one of the "heavy duty" models in-transit. Looking at the two part numbers online, I don't see a difference in the designs, although there is about $40 difference in price. hopefully it arrives and can be installed next week.

#12 · (Edited)
U-Haul installed the hitch I bought from them, and it didn't fit very well. The receiver was pushing the middle of the rear fascia up, and when I installed my storage tray, the central bar was also touching the rear fascia. So, I took the hitch back off today and modified it in two small ways. First, I elongated the holes where the hitch mounts to studs on the back of the pumper beam. This let the receiver end drop slightly. Second, I swapped spacers between the points which mount to the rear rails and those which mount to the tie-down brackets. That allowed the forward end of the hitch to be a bit higher. Net effect was to change the angle enough that the receiver isn't pushing the fascia up, and the bar on the tray isn't touching it either. After completing the mods and re-installation, I loaded up my drag tires and went for a test drive. Initial impressions are good - handling was not noticeably affected, the straps all stayed tight, etc. Attached are a couple of pictures of the setup. Not sure what I did wrong, but I can't seem to rotate the images - sorry!

Attachments

Reactions: OxmanWI
#13 ·
Just got home from the Midwest Bash. Although the scheduled drag racing got rained out, the storage tray setup got my drag tires there and back with no issues whatsoever!

Reactions: Grog6
#14 ·
No fun breaking stuff in the rain, or posting 24 second times. :)

Was Great Fun Had By All?

That's the important question.

Sitting, hanging out, bitching about the rain, describes some of the most fun I've had, lol.

Daytona, Talledega, Bristol... :)

#16 ·
With the tires in the middle of the storage tray, there was no blockage of my turn signals or brake lights. My license plate was not visible from the rear, however, and I wondered about that. It would be an issue with just about any item in the tray, so I'm not sure what could / should be done. Move the plate to the tray?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.