TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Small water craft, small Uhaul trailers, bike tailers, ext

Autocross car, towed the second sunday of every month. Only click it into overdrive when on flat ground doing over 50, or going down slight hills. :-D

tyman00 said:
They must be custom made. I haven't ever seen one available for the SC.
I don't think the rear unibody frame rails that the 89~97' hitches bolt up to are any different on the SC's?

I think they are alright. comes in handy just in case you need it.

Tyman, I never did get around to putting a hitch on mine but I did look it up in a bunch of the manufactures websites and they all seemed to carry just the one class 2(?) hitch for MN12's.

I suspect the "Except SuperCoupe" notion in the data books is because Ford says no towing with the supercharged engine.

I'd be surprised if there's anything stopping a supercoupe owner from bolting one on, aside from a bit of common sense anyway?

Since you mentioned the various bumper boots it's not something I considered at the time but...

While out on the highway one day as a passenger in a cab over box truck I noticed a lot of the mid-nineties MN12 bumpers allow you to see quite a bit of the underbody. I could see the complete factory exhaust all the way back to the rear and could see a good bit of the diff to.

With my 97' XR7 I can stand far back from it and at a lower viewing angle and I see much less of the underbody and exhaust being visible, so there is quite a bit of difference in how far the various bumper boots come down.

I never considered it but I wonder if that does cause a fitment issue with the hidden hitches on some models?

Southpaw said:
...I suspect the "Except SuperCoupe" notion in the data books is because Ford says no towing with the supercharged engine....
That and the lower bumper on the SC. Remember it comes down closer to the ground to match the ground effects.

^^^^ good point, that may be the reason the databooks except the SC. However the only thing stopping someone from putting a hitch on an SC is common sense as this thread over at the SCCOA seems to confirm. ;)

Well that and hitch availability at this point... not sure how easy they are to get these days as it's been 9 years since they built any MN12's.

VicRattlehead said:
jl has a hitch to tow his slicks.
Yep-works great.

Also works good for pop-up campers in the mountains.

JL

trailer towing

Why would anyone want a trailer hitch on a SC/bird? Simple, they want to tow a trailer or a luggage platform----is it really that difficult to understand :) Anyone who dosnt want a hitch, -----also very simple, Dont put one on your car! Providing warranty on vehicles is a very large reason mfg's limit towing weights etc. If most mfg's could get away with it, they would say "under now circumstance drive this vehicle over 35 MPH" Small trailers or small payloads are no problem. The larger the payload, the more care and preperation you need, xmission coolers, keep out of OD etc. If you intend to run Baha or a couple of trips down the 1320 at WAO with a trailer attached, you got problems---mostly in your head. It is a requirement that you be slightly smarter than the car or the trailer to be successful. Certainly would not be adviseable to tow a front end loader on a flatbed but some reason should be used. I wont puke over/on anyones silly a~~ wheels if they wont puke over/on my silly a~~ trailer hitch :D

I have on my Mark for my bike rack. It sucks too but theyres not many other options. The best racks are hitch racks and i could buy a car w/ what i have invested in bikes so i dont want one of them goin down the highway w/o me on it. Plus theres no way a roof rack is goin on my car.

anyone want one? i have one that i pulled off of my 95 bird... its in great shape... anyone wants it, they pay shipping... thats all.. i need it out of my garage. sucker weighed about 50 pounds.. 50 punds more that my anemic little 3.8 has to pull..

sinhumane said:
anyone want one? i have one that i pulled off of my 95 bird... its in great shape... anyone wants it, they pay shipping... thats all.. i need it out of my garage. sucker weighed about 50 pounds.. 50 punds more that my anemic little 3.8 has to pull..
How much shipped to 77479? :)
Thanks

Blackexperience said:
Seems they are still available. Seeing as I was looking for one for my 92 cougar so I could haul yard waste and such to the county dump. Hmm a trailer is cheaper than a third vehicle (truck). The other car is front wheel drive.

http://search.cartserver.com/search...eywords=1992&keywords_2=Mercury+Cougar&GO=GO!
There never has been an issue for the Cougars. In fact I worked on putting together a group buy a year or so ago for hitches.

The issue is with the TBird SC's, I haven't seen any hitches for that model. Even this site doesn't have them. If you look on this page it will say... "Except SC"

http://search.cartserver.com/search...ry=a_product&maxhits=1&keywords=dt2252&GO=GO!

I would like to get one someday. I like to take my sky and duck boat out and have to use the wifes car when I do. I really don't like my wife drivin my car. Nighmares of it being wrapped around a tree or utility pole. I don't like front wheel drive cars either.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.