TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wondering where you run your straps when your trailing an MN-12? I'll be taking my car on a long trip so I just want to be as stable as possible. I know of a few places that work pretty good, but i was just wondering what you do. Thanks.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
On the rear, I use a pair of 21" long axle straps looped over the rear LCA's. I think this is the best picture that I have showing that:

On the front, I hook the straps into factory holes in the frame rails, and criss-cross the straps. The holes that I use are circled in yellow:

-Rod

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cougar looks good in that first picture, Rod :thumbsup:

/threadjack

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the info and pictures, thats excatly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've kind of wondered about this too. Some people to say to tie down from the suspension (tire straps, or to the LCA, etc.), others say to tie down from the vehicle frame. Apparently Rod does both. Which is the preferred method, and why? I would think that hooking to the frame might make the trailer more predictable, especially a smaller trailer, because the suspension wouldn't really be cycling on the car. I have helped my friend haul a lot of cars though, and we usually just bind securely to the axles or LCAs with chains and binders on his 25ft. gooseneck. So far, knock on wood, we've never had an issue. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this.

-Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Usually, I prefer to hook to the frame of the vehicle being trailered to keep the vehicle's suspension from cycling. The only reason why I don't do that on the rear of my XR7 is that the straps rub on the tailpipes if I hook to the factory tie-downs on the rear frame rails. However, with the straps hooked to the rear LCA's as shown, the straps compress the rear suspension when tightened down. In other words, the vehicle's suspension can't cycle much at all when strapped down using the method I described in my previous post.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Me

Hello

I also hook to the Lower rear control arms. I place my hooks inbound of the toe compensator link, on both sides

I removed the front frame location so I connect to the bar across the front.

Paul

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I have a hidden hitch on my car. I don't tow with it (I have a couple of times). But it gives me a solidly mounted low point on the back of the car which keeps me from dragging the bumper on a driveway. It also gives me a solidly mounted tie down point on each side.

On the front, I hook to my LECBs which are bolted to both the K member and the unibody with grade 8 bolts. It works for me. :D

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Make sure you criss cross your staps though, takes weight off of the actual straps.
Huh? This statement makes absolutely no sense. Please explain what you really meant.

I've kind of wondered about this too. Some people to say to tie down from the suspension (tire straps, or to the LCA, etc.), others say to tie down from the vehicle frame. Apparently Rod does both. Which is the preferred method, and why? I would think that hooking to the frame might make the trailer more predictable, especially a smaller trailer, because the suspension wouldn't really be cycling on the car. I have helped my friend haul a lot of cars though, and we usually just bind securely to the axles or LCAs with chains and binders on his 25ft. gooseneck. So far, knock on wood, we've never had an issue. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this.

-Rob
Neither method is right or wrong; done properly, they both work. I've always secured my cars using the control arms, or, if the anchor points cooperate, by looping the strap over a tire (lower the pressure in the tire so the strap will cinch down good and not slip off). I don't like attaching to the frame because I have a phobia of the suspension compressing, allowing the straps to go slack enough to have the hook come loose. Yeah, it's a silly fear, hence the use of "phobia".

Sir Will, I also have the hidden hitch, and use my car for towing all the time. I have a little 4x8 trailer with about 1200 lb capacity, and I've towed that thing thousands of miles with the 'Bird. I use it to take my motorcycle to the track, runs to Home Depot, hauling large car parts around, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts