TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
its supposed to keep the driveshaft in place should a joint fail. our cars have 2 from the factory

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well i dont know how good they are if your planning on racing it. they are fine for the street .

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I wouldn't trust them for racing. I don't think that they are even welded on, and they're pretty thin, too.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Here is a picture that shows the stock driveshaft loops:

As you can see in the picture, they do not completely encircle the driveshaft and are bolted to the car. I don't have my NHRA rulebook with me, but I don't think you need to upgrade these unless you're running some serious times at the track.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
That's the underside of my 90 Cougar XR7, which is the same body platform as any 89-97 Tbird/Cougar (MN12). It may look a little different than the average Tbird/Cougar because the fuel tank is out, and due to the aluminum centersection and aluminum lower control arms that I installed.

-Rod

·
Registered
456 Posts
NHRA rules require if you run slicks, you must have a drive-shaft loop that completely encircles the entire circumfrence of the shaft.

I dont care if you 16.50's...if you tech with slicks, and they want to have a peek, you better have one.

For the record, the factory driveshaft loops in that pic will satisfy most tech inspectors...because most of them dont know the difference between an over-flow bottle, and an empty coke can spraypainted black.

For the most part, NHRA rules are simply in place for your own safety, and that of other racers/spectators. if they want you to have a bigger loop, there is a reason for it.

they can be made/purchased/installed very easily. contact your local exhaust shop. Most of them will gladly weld up some flat iron for you. They even sell a nice two-piece design at summit so you can install a loop without removing the driveshaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts