TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a trak lok in the new Bird. I found two used 28 spline units claiming to be the infamous M4204F288 that still displays at every online Ford speed shop despite being discontinued for 2 yrs.

Well, both used units have “E3TW BA” stamped on them. I bought the cheaper one (thought $150 was a little high for a used one). It looks nice, but is it the right one?

To add some more ****ery to the search, Ebay and other places claim the M4204F288 does not fit my 97 T-Bird. Jason at Fordparts says it does. I just saw that the pic from American Muscle appears to have “F5AF BB” stamped on it, squashing my excitement from opening the package I just got.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I soon to be an Ebay seller of a trak lok for a solid rear axle?

What kills me is there are probably enough Ford 31 spline trak loks to circle the state of Rhode Island, but not one damn 28 spline!

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
Trying to get a trak lok in the new Bird. I found two used 28 spline units claiming to be the infamous M4204F288 that still displays at every online Ford speed shop despite being discontinued for 2 yrs.

Well, both used units have “E3TW BA” stamped on them. I bought the cheaper one (thought $150 was a little high for a used one). It looks nice, but is it the right one?

To add some more ****ery to the search, Ebay and other places claim the M4204F288 does not fit my 97 T-Bird. Jason at Fordparts says it does. I just saw that the pic from American Muscle appears to have “F5AF BB” stamped on it, squashing my excitement from opening the package I just got.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I soon to be an Ebay seller of a trak lok for a solid rear axle?

What kills me is there are probably enough Ford 31 spline trak loks to circle the state of Rhode Island, but not one damn 28 spline!

Thanks,
Al
Count the splines, and see if the inner gear face is beveled. :grin2:

If you have a loose Axle, stuff in in and see if it fits.

I'd check the bevel first, lol. KD made a post about that...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts