TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 94 Cougar, the tranny will not shift out of 2nd sometimes. It seems to be random since it can happen in the morning when it is cold or after driving for a long time and you take off from a light.

I have done the J-Mod kit, tranny cooler, Transmission Position Sensor and have additives in the tranny oil.

To fix it, I drop the tranny into Neutral then back to Drive and it shifts into 3rd just fine after that and dosn't happen again.

I'd let it go, but it's the wifes car and she dosn't like to drive it now cause she worries... so now she drives my 95 Town Car and though I don't mind... it is my baby if you can understand that.

My first thought would be the TPS, but that was just changed out a couple years and less than 10k miles ago. I doubt it's the J-Mod kit cause the tranny preforms better than ever and better than my other cars.

Maybe low oil?

Maybe the TPS is bad again?

Do I have other problems in the tranny that could cause this?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
I assume you replaced the accumulator pistons when you did the j-mod, right?

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres a good link for the tps check:
Sorry, I was talking about the transmission position sensor or shift position sensor. Sorry I don't have the exact name. It is what tells the tranny what position it is in. It is located on the drivers side middle of the transmission

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its also called the Neutral Safety Switch. At least that is how I just found it on the Autozone site.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
The 2-3 accumulator could be stuck in it's bore.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2-3 accumulator could be stuck in it's bore.
Na, replaced those with new ones... but then again, that was the bad accumulator to begin with. Possible the walls got slightly wacked but they looked good when I did the J-Mod. You may have a point.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
White lincoln... when you did the J mod and left the springs out you did bend the tabs out a little on the accumulator cover right? If not it can fall out and the piston can fall out of the bore with no spring.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the first time I put the 2-3 cap back in, I bent the tabs a bit because when I put it back in this time, I had to gently tap it in (it would not just push in easily).

It runs fine now. I tested the oil level and it was only about a quart low. It shifts better now, more like it is supposed to. I narrowed the problem down to the MLPS. Today I put the tranny in 2nd, drove to about 30+mph and put it in drive and it did not want to go into 3rd and I had put it in neutral then back to drive. Other than that, it shifted flawlessly today while driving.

As for the torque convertor, ya, they are know to be crap, but it is okay. With the torque convertor shudder, that is more a 'shudder' from 2-3 and can be fixed with either using an additive like Lubegard or Mercon V. Mercon was designed with that issue in mind (shudder) as well as a lot of other issues.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
White lincoln... when you did the J mod and left the springs out you did bend the tabs out a little on the accumulator cover right? If not it can fall out and the piston can fall out of the bore with no spring.
That actually can't happen. I posted cutaway pictures of the accumulator bore in another thread about this and it is clear that you can darn near take the cap completely out and the piston won't fall out if you have the old style valve body with the 3rd stiffner plate.

Also, by design, the cap can be replaced into the bore fairly loosely as long as it is in the bore. I can speak with authority in telling you that the reason it is suggested that you bend the tabs is to keep the cap from falling out while you are doing this in the car with the transmission in a position that would allow the cap to fall out.

Darrin.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem, except it won't go into 3rd gear at all. My car has been sitting for 2 years. I change my fluid abt 10000 mile b4 I quit driving. Now it jerks, bucks and stutter. I did a code reading and it says output speed sensor. Fyi, I never changed my fliud in my tc. Any advice would be greatly appricated

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tranny rebuild?

DId you try some Merc V or Merc III with additive?

If it's not a simple fix, I'd say its time for a rebuild especially if you never changed the fluid.

DId you say you changed the fluid, filter and made sure you drained all areas of the tranny? I am not sure which car you are talking about.

·
Banned
613 Posts
i put some lucas tranny additive in mine. ran awesome for like a day. than went back to normal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey guys I'm new and I was reading this post and mi trans sometimes act weird like slip o not overdrive rigth I have a check engine light is p0720 what is output speed sensorinsufficient input so I replace the sensor in the talishaft transmission but still the same light and I'm running out in options will be great if you can giveme some tips thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts