TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I can get a 94 LX with a 3.8 for super cheap, the car is perfect except the automatic tranny is toast. I currently own an 89 with the 3.8 and an auto tranny. Will my older tranny bolt up to the newer car? If not, what will?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It would physically bolt to the back of the engine, but that's it. 1994 was the first year for the AODE, electronically controlled transmission, in the T-Birds and Cougars. So you have different hookups, and need an EEC module and wiring that controls both the engine and the trans.

Not really a practical swap.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will any ford AODE from similar years work? I plan to do the 4.2 v6 swap anyways, what transmissions would work with this setup?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Your 89 has an AOD, your 94 has a 4R70W. No MN12 ever had an AODE, contrary to what a lot of places and shops will tell you.
Best bet for a 3.8L engine is to either have it rebuilt or find a 98+ 3.8L Mustang tranny and do the necessary linakge/electronics swapping to make it work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now to throw a wrench into the works...someday I want to be able to swap in the 4.2 v6 from a post-1998 Ford without TOO much hassle. With this in mind, are there any steps with the transmission I should take to avoid more problems then necessary when I go to swap the engine? Is it possible to get the 5spd from a 98+ Mustang, put a shifter extension box on it, and use that with both the 3.8 and the 4.2?

·
8,239 Posts
Yes guys on here have put 4.2 splitport motors in the 3.8 tbird.

Do a search for some more info.

If you want to put a newer 4r70w, I would just get a 99+ mustang 3.8 transmission and swap your tcc solinoid/mlps and repin the connector to get it to work.

Send me a PM if you want a newer 3.8 4r70w, we might have one in the salvage yard that my buddy owns.

JH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts