TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright...i bought a derale tranny cooler and put it on last week in my dorm parking lot. Been driving it around town and it was fine. I drove home (3 hrs) today and when i turn off the car there is smoke, yes smoke, coming from under the car and i could smell tranny fluid. alright now here is the part that i have a qeustion about. when i tried to put in on the fitting was too long and i could not clear the coolant return hose to the engine. So i simply interrupted the hardline at the top rather than the bottom. Could this of caused it. Also i did overfill the fluid a little i think but couldnt drop the pan in the parking lot...i am hoping i can just drain some fluid and that be the end of it. Would having too much fluid cause it to smoke like that? Cause i dont see how the cooler setup would do that cause it is still cooling that much more...any advice would be awesome.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, first of all you say you interrupted the hardline at the top...that's where it's supposed to be as this is the oil coming from the radiator cooler.

You don't need to drop the pan to drain fluid, just disconnect the cooler feed line and stick the end in a bucket with the car idling.

What part of the car was the smoke coming from? Can't say what it might be if you don't specify the general area where smoke was seen. Did you tighten all fittings securely, being careful not to overtighten? If you clamped a hose directly to a hardline, did you use 2 clamps (double clamp method)?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the smoke comes from behind the wheel on the drivers side...and if i pop the hood it comes from the tranny area (behind the engine). the top line drips slightly but nothing major...i am going to fix it as soon as i get home again. it had plenty fluid when it did this too...i just think i overfilled it, could that have been it?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Sounds like you routed a hose too close to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
798 Posts
most likely it's leaking at one of the connections. Check the connections again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts