TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today, my OD went out.

I was on my way home, it was windy, I pushed the gas a little harder to get up to speed, slipped a little bit to get there, like a bad clutch in a manual, and then it caught and went.

I set the criuse, and then, a gust of wind came up, car went to accelerate, and then the tach rose, speed fell, turned off cruise, nothing, it would not catch.

I put the car into D and drove it like that.

Stopped off on the way home, came back a few hours later, and when I left(car was cold as ice). I went to leave, had it in d, car went, shift from first to 2nd, no third, until I railed on it and got the speed up there, then I got 3rd.

The tranny doesn't have 125k on it yet. It got regular flushes/filter changes, I checked the fliud, it is still pretty clean yet.

I don;t know much about trannies, but, I may be able to get a diff one for 250$.

Would this be an easy fix on this tranny? like something simple or?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
sounds like both the od band and the direct clutch are done. No choice but to rebuild it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is it to rebuild one of these units? Cost?

I found a used one for 200$.

I should replace the tc while I am in there. Any good ones I should look at? I plane to add in a trickflow cam down the road.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
$200 is cheaper than the rebuild, but a proper rebuild will last longer. It depends on your intentions for the car...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hoping to take the old one and rebuild it. I see ford racing has some wide gears for it, I am thinking thats what I will put in it, to get my heavy car moving:eek:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Read the OD 101 article fully before you start buying parts - you might learn a few things... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts