TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well im getting my trans rebuilt at a local shop 375 labor plus 4 to 5 hundred parts which isnt to bad thats me droping it myself but they go through it for free so it may not have to be rebuilt. my questions are about how long does it take to take out? best way to take it out? an any hints an tricks i should have? i have a buddy helping me i plan on doing this early tomorrow so i can get it in they said it takes 3 business days to rebuild an id like to be mobile soon i hate not being able to go anywhere. so any information you guys can give me woudl be great thansk

nick

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
What are you doing? Scrapping the car like you keep saying you're going to do? Or are you going to get it repaired like you keep saying you want to try to do?

Dropping the tranny isn't a big deal. Getting it back where it belongs will be a pain if you don't have a transmission jack.

·
Registered
321 Posts
4 hours , drop the exhaust , remove all the connections, drop gas tank , remove drive shaft , preceed to torq converter bolts , then bell housing bolts , then trans lines ,i cant remember if its easier to get to the trains lines easily with out dropping the trains a few inches,but put a jack under the trans to support it when removing the rear trans mount , things should just slide right out. I had my trans dropped and out and back in in two days,mainly cause i barely had anyone to help me the first day and i didnt have the intire day to do it .but it was pretty easy , granted you have a good amount of tools and two floor jacks and some wood blocks so you dont screw up the trans pan .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im getting the trans rebuilt at a trans place down the road 375 for labor an anywhere from 300 to 500 for parts. which dosent seam to bad im getting it towed to my aunts she has a lift an a trans jack so that will make it alot easier im going to downlaod the chillson manual so it will be eaiser an hopefully give me a step by step on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, like it was said befor

drop the fuel tank so you can get at the driveshaft

get the driveshaft lose from the diff and slide it out of the trans put it away somewhere.

get the starter off the bellhousing and pop off the round cover on the seperatorplate so you can get at the nuts on the T/C

take the 4 nuts of the T/C

get a trans jack under it and take off the rear trans mount (taking the nut loose will probably rip the mount all up, so you might need anouther one... i did)

start unplugging stuff and disconnecting linkage/cooler lines if you havent already

take the bolts out around the bellhousing and drop it out

couldnt hurt to drain the fluid first as well, but with a trans jack you shouldn't have problems, i did mine with 4 6ton jackstands and my floorjack/peice of plywood :p

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I'd look for a 2002 JY transmission, repin the harness, replace the shift lever with the original one, and put it in for ~450. even the stock Gran marquis TC (which usually comes with the tranny) is better than the one you have.

Even if you have a pre 96, you can swap your original solenoid(s) and use the newer tranny.

Search, there are cheaper alternatives; you are taking it out and putting it in; swapping the rest is easy.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
FYI you don't need to remove the gas tank. Remove the bolts that attach the DS to the differential, then remove the 4 bolts that hold the differential to the sub frame. Let the pumpkin drop down and slide the DS over the top of the pumpkin and you'll be fine.

$375 if cool for labor if your removing and installing the tranny, but $500 for parts seems high unless you have to replace hard parts.

Grog6 is right, you're best off with a a 99-02 Mustang tranny in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Grog6 is right, you're best off with a a 99-02 Mustang tranny in the long run.
Mustang trannys will be beaten on a lot more than a gran marquis or crown vic; just don't get a police car tranny. :)

03 and up may be missing gear teeth on the output shaft.

There are valve body/case changes that make the later ones much more attractive, as well as upgraded hard parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts