TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my pleasure I inherited a 97 T'Bird 4.6L with 148 k from my in-laws a couple of years ago. It was my daily driver for about a year; sweet ride. Last Spring I parked the car because it needed new tires and battery, and it isn't cheap to fuel. The car had also developed a hesitation/stutter in the engine that I intend to repair.

Yesterday I jumped the car off and let it idle till it was good and warmed up. When I shifted to drive...nothing. I had checked all fluids prior to starting the car so I rechecked the fluid level, and indeed, had ATF. The car had no transmission problems when the car was laid-up. Has anyone ever heard or seen a transmission fail like this? Any tips or suggestions are deeply appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'd check Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor on the side of the tranny, looks like this:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, check the mlps

i have also seen the linkage from the shifter rot off the bottom of the car on my old 90. take a look at that too, if the shifter feels loose and floppy between gears.

both in the same place on the side of the trans, should be simple enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
what did the fluid look like was it nice and red or was it dark?....does it smell burnt?....a quick way to check the range selector with key on engine off put it reverse to see if the back up lights work and see if it starts in neutral....if it does probley not the switch

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Did you check the fluid before running or while it was running? If you checked it before and you had fluid it doesn't mean that it has enough fluid in it. It should be checked warm in park at idle.

That being said..... check the fluid before starting it(note how high it is), then check it after running to make sure the pump is good. If it drops it's good. If it stays high.... no good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts