TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put merconV in my 96 bird, now considering that mercon III is in it now, do I have to drain the torqure converter as well

·
8,239 Posts
yes you need to drain the old fluid through the radiator lines, than you need to align the crank so that you can get a wrench on the drainplug on the torque converter, and let that drain too.

Then you will want to drop the pan, and change the filter. Clean the pan, and the magnet.

Then you want to fill it up with 6 quarts, then shift all gears. Then add the rest of the fluid.

See the tech articles for help.

Justin

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, cool thanks
do you guys know of any national chain that will do the complete drain and refill w/ mercon V (goodyear wouldn't)
thanks

·
8,239 Posts
if you change your own oil, you can deffinitely change the tranny fluid. Very simple 30 minute job. I would rather change trans oil over motor oil in these cars anyday. A Ford dealership will do the job for you, because they recommend Mercon V fluid to cure torque converter shudder.

If you don't want to do the job yourself, take it to the dealer, and insist that they use Mercon V fluid in the car, and insist they put a new trans filter on the car. If they say they can't or something, tell them to refer to the TSB that says to use mercon v spec fluid if the customer is reporting torque conveter shudder. The dealer might also reprogram your EEC, so go in there with a stock eec (not a tuned one) Also, have them put on a trans cooler while you are there.

Justin

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found a decent guy at a local AAMCO who did the fluid change along with a whole bunch of extras for a decent price. I've got a friend that works for a local Ford dealer so I got a decent price on a case of mercon V. They guys at the AAMCO had no qualms about putting it in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not sure but, here is what I got:
-Mercon V switch converter and all
-New filter & Gasket
-TransGo shiftkit installed (gasket came in kit)
-new accumulators

I provided the Mercon V and the shift kit. Total cost was $245.59

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
be carefull if you have a shop do this

You may want to do this yourself. Most shops only drop the pan when changing tranny fluid. This is fine (but not great) if you are draining Merc III and filling with Merc III, but you are filling with Merc V which is not compatable with merc III.
Simply dropping the pan will not get all of it out. If you have a shop do it for you just make sure they are draining from all 3 points.

As Justin said you need to:

drain the old fluid through the radiator lines
drain the torque converter
then drop the pan change the filter.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts