TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the tranny in tonite at 11:00 P.M. YAAAYYY!!! No leaks :) (Knock on wood) But, when I put the car in drive, there is no drive. There is only reverse and then when I get down to 1st, the car goes into second.

Is the MLPS off? I'm believing that is the culprit of this. I will go out and adjust it tomorrow after I get home. How do I adjust it? Just put the vehicle in Neutral, and put the lever in neutral and connect the two? What do I use to line them up? Isnt there like a line or something on the MLPS?

This is pretty much how it's working.....While in Park, it's in park. When switched to Reverse, car doesnt move. When switched to Neutral, car moves in reverse. When switched to Drive, car is still in reverse. When switched to 2nd, car doesnt move. When switched to 1st, car is in 2nd.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lever linkage issues. How is that fixable? here's what's goin on...

I took off the MLPS and re-installed it how Porky says to in an older post. Nothing happened. The vehicle still wouldnt go. Then when I put it in park, it wouldnt start. So, I removed the MLPS completely together, and had dad jump in and shift the vehicle. Everything shifts fine, when using the shifter. Dad is thinking since I did a J-mod that I messed up something with the valve body, and by removing the springs and such. But I followed the directions word for word on how to do the J-mod.

Is the MLPS bad then? I dont really want to go spend the $30.00 on a new one (could possibly get ahold of my old one) if possible.

Some input would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I go about fixing that Alan?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know where the linkage was left on the rooster tail when it was taken off (the roller). I made a mental note of it. When I put it back together, I put the linkage back on the rooster tail how I remembered it came.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Also if you put in a newer trans and used the pinout diagram on this site you will only get 2nd gear even if you are in drive because one of the pictures is reversed....don't ask how I know

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also if you put in a newer trans and used the pinout diagram on this site you will only get 2nd gear even if you are in drive because one of the pictures is reversed....don't ask how I know
Thanks for the input, but the tranny is from a 97 cougar. So I dont have to re-pin it :) Thanks though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know where the linkage was left on the rooster tail when it was taken off (the roller). I made a mental note of it. When I put it back together, I put the linkage back on the rooster tail how I remembered it came.
I took pictures of it with my cell as I disassembled it, pictures of those pacman looking plates too. Then it was right for sure.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Someone did make a picture of it fixed and ended up posting it at a different site because our articles never seem to change for some reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.