TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have aode tranny. in D when i stomp the gas it jumps into neutral and when i let off and the rpms drop it jumps back into gear pretty violently and barks tires. does anyone have any idea what is wrong. it has a trans-go shift kit in it. other than that original. thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
When you stomp the gas from a stop you mean? If so first thing you should do is check thr transmission fluid level per the owners manual. If that is fine, and you said everything is stock other then the shift-kit, you will need the style of trans pan found on the '96+ 4r70w's (this is what your transmission is called, by the way, its a form of aode) It looks like the pan on your trans, but it has a hump on it. Using this pan will also require the deep sump trans filter
Pan
'96 style (no drainplug) - F6AZ-7A194-A
'98 style (drainplug) - F8UZ-7A194-AA
Filter for both styles - F6AZ-7A098-A

If it does this while driving, it maybe the mlps, but don't quote me on this, because it probably wrong :D :D :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
sounds like a similar problem i was having.
while driving it would pull outa gear and id have to rev it up to get it back in.
I knew what the problem was tho. was leaking badly. couldnt fix it then the tranny died.
im getting a deep sump and tranny cooler now.
this isnt happening again....

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
For starters, DO NOT DRIVE IT.

The problem is that a clutch is not engaging. Whether this is a problem with the clutch or fluid depends on the level and condition of the fluid.

Check the fluid...hopefully it is low, and you haven't caused damage yet. If it is burnt, try changing the fluid (put mercon V in) this may fix or help the problem. However, if you have not caught the problem in time, you will need a new clutch. That means a rebuild.

This doesn't sound like a MLPS because this seems to be a driver input dependant problem.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Reason i said pan is a similar question was asked by someone at mtc, and both "the man" and seabass responed with the different style pan as the answer. But without more info, can really be sure, can we?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i believe it is an AODE because the back end of the pan is angled it is not rectangular. what difference would the deep pan make? the damn thing has burnt up 2 front drum bands so far, and i am sick of pulling it out of the car. sorry about that just aggrevated right now. btw thats in about 4 months. is there anything else that could be causing this.

HEY WHERE IS JERRY. HELP JERRY PLEASE.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i agree w/ greenbird..........i had a similar problem where if the car was totally stopped and i hit the gas the RPM'S would surge real high and then the tranny would "grip" and the car would lurch forward......first thing (like was mentioned) is to check the fluid.......mine was OK and i tried changing the fluid w/ some fresh Mercon V.......after i did this the problem only got worse and the final straw was when i heard a huge BANG and saw the o/d light flashing......lol.

btw, w/ my tranny the 2-3 shift was much delayed........the rpm's would rev really high and sometimes catch gear .......othertimes it just didn't and went straight to 4th.....if you take it into 3rd w/ the o/d button it would jerk back and forth and then go into 4th again.......

hope that you don't have to get a rebuild, but just lettin you know it's not out of the question........my 1 way clutch and direct clutch bands were shot and the direct clutch had grooves wearing into it that's how bad it was,.......not surprised 'cause it has lasted 'till 145,000....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nj that is exactly what is going on. all that stuff is happening now. what exactly did they replace on your tranny when u had the rebuild done.

·
Registered
855 Posts
well i had a friend of mine recommend a tranny shop and i took it there.......by this time they already new that the tranny needed a rebuild, so i watched for a little bit and went home......i called them the next day and they said they were almost done and that they'd finish later on in the day........i asked if there was anything significantly wrong w/ the tranny and they told me that everything looked good for the age of the tranny and that the one thing that they noticed which was significantly worn was the direct clutch band.......so worn that there were grooves (indentations) on the direct clutch......

anywho,.......i did a little research and found out that when the tranny shifts from 2 to 3 that is when the direct clutch is applied.......seems that since the band was so worn, it was having a hard time trying to apply and it wasn't "catching"......this is why when you put it in D (not 2 or 1) the car will go "rrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvv....... SCREEEEECH". quite annoying. i found that (until i could get to the tranny shop) if you put it into 2 instead of D then you could go to about 30-35 or so mph and then put it in D and it will take you to 4th bypassing third ('cause it just gave up after trying...)......i ran it like that for a few days.....maybe a week or to 'till i could get the rebuild done....since it was being rebuilt to "the man's" specs i didn't really care about screwin it up. heh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts